+ Reply to Thread

Default Bathroom ceiling keeps peeling despite sanding, sealing, skim coating.

I live in a house built in 1940. The bathroom is all original, with a walk-in shower, tub, pedestal sink, and commode. It is tiled from floor to ceiling. The only surface not tiled, other than the woodwork, is the ceiling. A couple of months ago I had the ceiling repainted. The contractor sanded the surface, put on a skim coat of plaster, sealed it with BIN, and a coat of paint. After 5 days the ceiling started to alligator and then the paint and skim coat of plaster started peeling off. I waited a couple of months and had the contractor come back and redo the project. This time he power sanded the previous peeling surface, applied a new skim coat of plaster, sealed with BIN and repainted. Five days have elapsed and the ceiling is starting to alligator and peel again. The contractor is at a loss as to what is causing this and is recommending a new ceiling. What could be the problem. I am waiting 36 hours before using the shower. I do not want to replace the ceiling. PLEASE HELP!

Default Re: Bathroom ceiling keeps peeling despite sanding, sealing, skim coating.

Any insulation on the other side?

Default Re: Bathroom ceiling keeps peeling despite sanding, sealing, skim coating.

What is the original ceiling material, plaster or drywall?
    What was the original top coat lead based paint, oil based, ???, ?
    How clean was the original surface before it was skim coated?
    What is he skim coating with, plaster or drywall compound?
    Is he allowing this skim coat to fully dry/cure before sealing?
    Is he actually using BIN primer?
    Is he allowing the primer to fully dry/cure before applying the top coat?
    Are the primer and top coat compatible?
    Are the primer and top coat new materials or something that's been sitting in your garage for a few years?

From the sounds of the problem, you could have moisture issues in the substrate or something about the original top coat of the substrate which is causing adhesion issues with everything being applied to it now. Moisture issues will have to be corrected before anything is going to stick. Incompatibility issues can be cured when you know what you're working with. Lead and oil based paints don't do well when latex is applied over them, you have to use an oil based primer first, then you can apply latex. BIN primers will work too, but it will take multiple coats of a bin to counteract the "oil on water" effect that lead and oils based paints have with new top coats.
    Last edited by A. Spruce; 05-04-2014 at 11:43 AM.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Are you using the proper plaster skim coating? Regular Sheetrock finishing compound is often used for this with good results, but in a moist area might not do as well. Also, is the skim coat fully cured before the primer goes on? If there's too much moisture underneath, even BIN will alligator taking everything on top with it. Also look for roof or pipe leaks above the ceiling, not likely (you'd have seen the water spots) but a possibility nonetheless. Try again using the right products, but add another day's curing time (or more if you can) before priming- keep the bath door open and use a box fan to keep the air circulating to aid drying/curing.

Phil

I would suspect calcimine paint, if moisture and wallpaper paste have been ruled out as causes. Calcimine was used into the 50's I'm pretty sure.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Casey is correct; it DOES sound a lot like a calcimine ceiling---you can usually tell by swiping your finger on it; it will feel "slippery" to the touch---as soon as you said the house was built in 1940 a light went off in my head, because I had the same problem with the house I own.

Yes, calcimine paint WAS used into the 1950s.

The sites below detail how to solve the problem by completely scraping the ceiling, using dish detergent & water to get as much as possible of the old calcimine paint off--they have a special calcimine-covering paint (check out paint specialty stores) that will seal everything to finish it; or you can add a flat latex in the color of your choice after applying the calcimine-covering paint.

http://www.plasterlord.com/notebook/fcalcimine.htm
    http://homeguides.sfgate.com/cover-c...ngs-30512.html
    Last edited by brewster; 05-05-2014 at 05:13 PM.

The same thing happened to me. It is easier to install new gyproc over the old stuff plaster , prime and paint.