+ Reply to Thread

Default water spots on cathedral ceiling

I can't locate previous discussion on this subject, nor can I view pics from earlier discussion. My cathedral ceiling has water marks in various places at the drywall butt joints. Thermostat was set at 45-50 this winter; humidifier was at 30 pc. Could these be the water mark cause?

Default Re: water spots on cathedral ceiling

Yes it could. Better find out.

I just had a customer with a 6" water spot between 1st and 2nd floors. After cutting the ceiling we found no leaks. We closed the ceiling, patched, and painted. I told the customer not to spill anything, to keep the faith and hope for the best.

Since this has never occurred, and thermostat has never been set that low, and cold/snow were unusual this winter , is it reasonable to think setting temp to 55 will disallow in future?

You don't know that, until you find the source of the stain. What if it's the roof itself? Have your roof inspected and go from that.

Do you have insulation? most likely no in a cathedral ceiling, and with the unusual winter you had, this COULD be the reason, that's why I recommended to investigate it. You may need to invite contractors over and see what they think after inspecting.