+ Reply to Thread

Default Subfloor help - 3/4" Brazilian Cherry 5" wide to be installed above

Hi all. Looking for some advice on a problem I have. I'm looking to install new hardwood in a room that has an addition. The subfloor in the addition is 3/4" ply, but it meets the existing 3/4" tongue & groove pine approximately 1/8" low. If that were the only issue, I wouldn't have a problem, but on further examination it seems both sides are slightly out of level and in opposing directions. Basically I have a slight peak where the two subfloors meet. Enough that if I put a 4' level in the middle and hold it flat against the old subfloor, on the new subfloor I have a gap of approximately 1/2"...

I was thinking of putting masonite on the new subfloor, possibly 1/4" and then sanding down both the masonite and some of the old plank to get more of a smooth transition as opposed to the peak that is currently there, but not sure that works. Given the gap is nearly 1/2" only two - three feet into the new subfloor, I really can't shim the ply to match the old....

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Subfloor help - 3/4" Brazilian Cherry 5" wide to be installed above

Quote Originally Posted by zqubed View Post
    I really can't shim the ply to match the old....

Thanks in advance!

I don't see why you can't do that- I do it all the time when there is no leveling option I can use for thee framing itself where a proper fix would go. I cut slats of the appropriate thickness with a table saw from 1 1/2" material (often whatever I have on hand) spaced no more than 16" apart and laid over the original framing where possible. Each run is thinner till it feathers out to nothing. It works well for me and it's about the simplest approach I know of.

Phil