+ Reply to Thread

Default How to flash a ledger and patio door sill that my contractor didn't??

I'm no expert on construction but here it goes: we have a simple new addition off the back of the house- on one side there is a sliding glass patio door, a ledger and a three steps down to the ground. No overhang and very exposed. I pulled the step stringers off the ledger to find the 2x10 ledger isn't flashed (and it is already warping). I am going to pull this ledger off and I guess put on a new one (which will have nothing attached to it, we are building a floating deck). First problem: How should I address the lack of flashing underneath the patio frame/sill? My only idea is to just caulk the hell out of it... I am also pretty sure there is no flashing on the sides or top but I do know the house was properly wrapped. Second problem: since there is no sill flashing, how should I flash the new ledger? I've seen the idea of mounting the ledger with a gap for drying but I can't access the band joist to do bolts (tiny crawl space). The addition has vinyl siding, but I don't have any left over, so just want to deal with this ledger and forget about it (it won't be visible anyway)... any ideas would be greatly appreciated, thanks!!

Default Re: How to flash a ledger and patio door sill that my contractor didn't??

Poster here, as a follow up, I'm thinking I ultimately should probably have someone pull the whole door out, have it all flashed correctly, reinstalled, and install a canopy/overhang over the door. However I don't have the funds for that right now, so any temp fix ideas appreciated!

Default Re: How to flash a ledger and patio door sill that my contractor didn't??

Can you get the installer to do that, or did he skip town?

For someone who claims that he's no expert, you display a ton of knowledge. But here is where you went wrong: you let your installer work unchecked. To fix it now will cost a pretty penny, if your installer is not around or unwilling to do anything.

Yes, good advice, I should have checked his work, but this is my first house, didn't know any better, learning LOTS of fun things after the fact. Lesson learned and moving on, so now I am just searching for a 12-24 month temp fix for this flashing issue, anybody?

How about this, I put the ledger back on with ledgerlok screws, but I make firring strips from my pressure treated, to have a nice air space behind the ledger board? I still don't know what to do about the unflashed patio sill.

Quote Originally Posted by RodneyBD View Post
    How about this, I put the ledger back on with ledgerlok screws, but I make firring strips from my pressure treated, to have a nice air space behind the ledger board? I still don't know what to do about the unflashed patio sill.
    If you put a gap in there, the addition is not really attached to the house as one expects. The proper way is to install the flashing.