+ Reply to Thread

Red face Prime base prior to installation?

I assume that base should be primed prior to installation? This particular base is being installed in a basement and the floor is a finished/layer concrete. If it's not primed the raw edge would be up against (or nearly against) the concrete which seems like a future problem. Any advice?

Also, we are trying to avoid shoe mold since we want a more modern, clean look. Any advice on how to install the base as tight as possible knowing that the cement floor is likely not perfectly level?

Thank you

Default Re: Prime base prior to installation?

Set the base in place and scribe the bottom and cut to fit. I would prime all six sides and put the first coat of finish on before installing.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Agreed on the 6-side priming, but as long as the space isn't excessive to you, you can install it as tight as you can bend it without a scribe fit. If it takes much bending I'd also glue it to the sheetrock (something I would normally not recommend) The space underneath can be caulked if you wish; it's the direct contact between masonary and wood you want to avoid. Normally 1/8"spacing is required but half that will be enough. Also I'd use wood here, not MDF which sucks up moisture like a sponge till it destroys itself. To make the painting easier apply the first finish coat on the face before installation- that helps hide any small mistakes during the final finish coat and adds some durability.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    Set the base in place and scribe the bottom and cut to fit. I would prime all six sides and put the first coat of finish on before installing.

Jack
    Yes, If I were you, I do the Prime before installation too.

we prime and first coat before installation