+ Reply to Thread

Default Help with living room/ dining room

Would I be making a mistake painting my walls antique white with a burgandy trim? Never did anything that drastic before ... Little nervous

Default Re: Help with living room/ dining room

if you're prepping your house for resale, big mistake. if you're doing it for yourself, you can do whatever you want. do one wall and the trim on one wall, see how it looks and if you like it move forward from there. if you don't like it then paint it back to the original.

What MLB said, but I might try something with a bit less contrast than the antique white if the burgundy trim is what you are set on. Maybe something in a light tan that coordinates better. You could even pick up an accent wall in a lighter burgundy. The best advise I can give is get some color samples and look at them a while.
    Sherwin Williams website has a feature where you can take a photo of a room and then "paint" their colors on the walls and trim. It has limitations of course, but as I recall it also will make suggestions for coordinating colors if you want. No doubt other paint websites have a similar feature. Browsing decorating books might help also.

I agree with MLB, if it is what you want, go for it. Best case scenario: you love it and did something bold. Worst case scenario: you don't love it and fixing it is as easy as another coat of paint. Good luck.

You should try to find out, this may be not the ideal but when you try that will guide you to the best. and remember this is your home, make it looks as you like.

I'd say go with it if you want a change in your room. A change in style and room decoration is always welcome. But like what everyone here says, if you are trying to sell your home, don't do it.

Your home is a reflection of yourself so go with what you like- you're the one living with it!

I just started on another project where the previous tenant has painted an accent wall with a multi-colored pattern that will appeal to more style-oriented people but will be too loud for more traditional folks. Being a rental I know what's about to get painted over simply because of the need for mass marketability. Were it mine, I'd leave it intact and offer potential tenants the choice of keeping it or not- it takes almost no time or effort to paint one wall (and it costs nothing to leave it) but the owner doesn't think like that. I do what I get paid for so it's nothing to me professionally, but I kind of hate seeing it go away- someone put a lot of thought and effort into it and it shows.

Phil