+ Reply to Thread

Default just need to solve a argument :D

I have a old barn and the main wires from the meter to the fuse box are 2 black and a red. now I know on a new system there would be a black wire a black with a white strip and a black with a red strip and I know the white striped one is the neutral. but with the old wiring what wire is the neutral the red wire? that is the only one I can think of. i just wanted to no to solve a argument lol

Default Re: just need to solve a argument :D

It was not done to Code so it's anybodys guess.

Identify which wire goes to the neutral/ground buss and wrap it with white tape.
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content

First you need to determine if it is 120 volts or 240 volts going to the barn. Second, is there a switch in the house that turns on something at the barn, such as an out side light?

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

well ill start by saying the power was cut at the pole a few weeks ago because we are taking all the electric out of the barn there is no need for it. anyway when we opened up the meter box we noticed the red wire is attached to a hot as is another black wire and the 3rd wire comes straight from the pole into the old fuse box it bypasses the meter altogether. would that be the neutral???

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    First you need to determine if it is 120 volts or 240 volts going to the barn. Second, is there a switch in the house that turns on something at the barn, such as an out side light?

Jack
    well ill start by saying the power was cut at the pole a few weeks ago because we are taking all the electric out of the barn there is no need for it. anyway when we opened up the meter box we noticed the red wire is attached to a hot as is another black wire and the 3rd wire comes straight from the pole into the old fuse box it bypasses the meter altogether. would that be the neutral???

Quote Originally Posted by halster243 View Post
    ...and the 3rd wire comes straight from the pole into the old fuse box it bypasses the meter altogether. would that be the neutral???
    Probably. You can verify this by identifying THAT wire where it enters in the fuse/breaker panel and see what's connected to it. Is it the white/neutral wire from the branch circuits? Does it also connect to a wire that connects to a ground rod or water pipe?
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.