+ Reply to Thread

Default Filling Foundation Opening with Cement Block Advice

Hi Guys,

I am filling in an old door opening in my cement block foundation with cement blocks. Is it a matter of just filling the hole with cement blocks, mortar, and to make sure everything is level? I have already made the necessary blocks to size with a chisel. I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks,

Pat

Default Re: Filling Foundation Opening with Cement Block Advice

What type of opening is it? How big? What was there before?

The opening is 30" x 72". My cape has a portico for the front entranceway. We are adding on to the front of the house and will be removing the portico in the front. The foundation followed the outline of the portico so there was a little bumpout in the foundation. I am looking to close off the bumpout before I knock down the portico.

Filling this opening makes sense now.

Just filling it in with block will be okay. It wouldn't hurt to shoot some ties into the existing wall and embed them in the mortar joints of the new every 16 or 24".
    If you want to get a little fancy, you could tooth the new block into the existing wall so it all blends in.

Quote Originally Posted by ed21 View Post
    Just filling it in with block will be okay. It wouldn't hurt to shoot some ties into the existing wall and embed them in the mortar joints of the new every 16 or 24".
    If you want to get a little fancy, you could tooth the new block into the existing wall so it all blends in.
    What kind of ties would you shoot into the existing wall?

What do you mean by toothing the new block?

Thanks,

Pat

Toothing is removing some of the existing block back to a vertical mortar joint and then filling in with new so that the bond pattern is uninterrupted. Not really a DIY project, but masons do it all the time.

Heavy galvanized corrugated ties bent in an L shape or special made ties/anchors available from a number of different companies. For a small opening it isn't really required, but doesn't hurt.
    By shooting I meant powder actuated fastener, but any screw anchor would work too.

I think I'm just going to put in some of the ties that you mentioned for such a small opening. Thanks for your help.

Pat

Another method of adding ties to existing block which works well in low stress situations like this is to chisel out some of the mortar at a side joint, slide the tie into the openiing, then re-mortar being sure it's forced into the hole well. Not quite as secure as better methods but can be all you need sometimes and requires nothing that you don't already have. The side-joints aren't deep so punching through there is usually easy, and there will be enough strength to prevent shifting unless something hits the new section pretty hard.

Phil