+ Reply to Thread

Default Mold Removal on Cedar Shingle Exterior walls

We have a 1929 Craftsman-style house in the Northeast USA. It has cedar shingles on the exterior that have been stained with Olympic oil exterior stain twice in the 25 tears we've lived here, the last time about 12 years ago. I'm noticing black mold on all the exterior, but especially on the north side. It seems to have gotten worse after a few years of mulching mature bushes and landscaping with hardwood mulch. I scrubbed one side last year with a tri-sodium/bleach/water mix, but the mold came right back. How extensive a cleaning job should be done to remedy the problem? How expensive might this be for a 2400- sq. ft. house? Is this a professional job? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Default Re: Mold Removal on Cedar Shingle Exterior walls

Is the surface always damp, or damp a lot?
    Are the bushes overgrown to a point that they cover/touch the cedar exterior. Is the mulch always wet? This could be the source of the mold.

No, not always damp. North side doesn't get much direct sun. Very cold winters, not much sun or heat most of the year. Bushes are mature, but far enough from the walls to walk behind...nothing touching. Because of the Craftsman-style overhanging eaves (5'), parts of all the walls are shaded. The north side started first, but now it seems to be spreading around the other sides. The dark hardwood much was slightly damp when applied on the outside of the bushes (8' +/-) from the walls, but dried out quickly in the summer.

I'm assuming I need to take care of mold before re-staining the house. And, since oil stains like Olympic can't be sold anymore because of volatility, I'm thinking I may have to go acrylic or latex. But that's another topic for later.

I haven't checked in a couple years but as far as I know oil-based stains are still available where I live (SC, USA). I know some states have banned them, such as California where my brother runs a Painting business. While he doesn't do it, some folks simply get what they need from the places which still sell them, take them home and use them anyway. Not legal but it gives you a better product sometimes and with exterior stains I do prefer oil-based myself.

Phil