+ Reply to Thread

Default Wood fence on concrete with chain link posts! Help!!

Greetings...our entire backyard is a concrete slab with an in ground pool that is surrounded by the ugliest chain link fence you have ever seen. We would like a cedar fence instead and want to rip out the chain link but keep the metal posts. Does anyone know how to attach wood fencing to these posts and have a sturdy wood fence on top of concrete?? Many thanks for your replies....

Default Re: Wood fence on concrete with chain link posts! Help!!

It's done all the times.

First, your metal posts should be in good shape, plumbed with no rust.

There are connectors you can get, to attach wood to the posts, whether they are round or square. They are sold in most hardware stored. Use them to attach the new fence to the posts.

Good choice removing the chain link posts. Wood fences look so much better. Should be fairly easy to just replace the chain link

Though intended for concrete, "Taocon" type screws with washers work well in attaching wood to metal posts, and with these thin posts you may not even need a pilot hole. I just 'muscle' them in but I'm used to the work If you do drill pilot holes make them about half size so that the screw fits tightly; the metal around them will 'give' and create a stronger connection. Be very careful to not over-tighten these- chain-link posts are thin and the screws will strip rather easily if you're heavy-handed. I use 2 each to connect 2X4 stringers, 3 for 2X6, and have not had any call-backs yet- the connection seems to be as strong as the posts as far as I can tell and that's about as good as you can get reusing them. Arrange for a picket to cover the screws and it will look wonderful.

One thing to consider- check both local building codes and your homeowners policy as pool enclosures often have to meet some very specific requirements for height, openings, and security. We don't want anyone getting hurt; pools are supposed to be fun!

Phil

I am considering doing the same thing to an area of chain link that is on my concrete patio. Thank you!

"Good choice removing the chain link posts. Wood fences look so much better. Should be fairly easy to just replace the chain link"

This depends on a lot of factors. Chain link fences usually outlast wood fences, but they can't provide the same privacy.

For my own home I left the old metal posts as they were in great shape and added wooden horizontal members to build my new wood fence to keep the dogs in my own yard. Been doing just fine for the last 20 years.