+ Reply to Thread

Wink Shrink my bathroom? I have to walk through a bathroom to use my deck.

Hi All,

My 2nd floor has a funky layout where you have to walk through a guest room to use the main bathroom, and have to walk through the bathroom to access the deck. This makes the guestroom more like an office and I find myself rarely ever using the nice deck. Imagine bringing food in and out of the bathroom going to/from the deck, or walking in on someone using the bathroom when exiting the deck.

I am considering putting up a wall in the bathroom to create a hallway to the deck, but doing so would obviously eat up the bathroom space, which might be a resale “no no”. The 7 ft of walking clearance would be shortened to 4 ft, with a 3 ft wide hall to the deck. I am also considering screening in the deck to extend the feel of livable space, but would never do so having the bathroom as the entrance.

The bathroom is old and needs to be redone anyway, so I have the opportunity to add the hall and fix up the smaller bathroom. Or I continue to fix up the larger bathroom and give up on the Deck issue. I personally want to create the separate walkway to the Deck but I don’t want to be kicking myself for this decision down the road. I keep going back and forth on Resale effects of this. In Baltimore City, Decks are common, large bathrooms are not, but both are considered to be highly appealing…..

Should I choose Large bathroom with barely usable deck, or smaller bathroom with nice outside deck feature?!?!

Advice and opinions are much appreciated!!!!

Default Re: Shrink my bathroom? I have to walk through a bathroom to use my deck.

I my opinion, I'd rather have the smaller bath with a hall to the deck. You can make small baths spectacular, since you don't need that much in the way of materials.

Default Re: Shrink my bathroom? I have to walk through a bathroom to use my deck.

Add the hallway to the deck. The remaining 4' of walking clearance should be plenty of space for moving around the bathroom.

Just a thought - if you add the hallway is it feasible to move the bathroom entrance to the hallway and out of the spare bedroom?

As to screening in the deck, I have had both a deck and a screened in porch. I used the screened in porch far more than I ever did the deck. If you grill and your deck is the only place to grill then you will have to leave at least part of the deck open for the grill.
    Last edited by CeliaP; 04-29-2014 at 08:51 AM.

Hard to say without seeing it, but could you also move the existing wall between the bath and guest room some? That would allow a wider hall and more space in the bath too, and it being a guest room, losing a bit of space there shouldn't be an issue. You do want to check for load-bearing issues but the odds are good that you won't have any of that to deal with. The biggest problem otherwise would be any wiring or piping in the wall to be moved. You'll also need new flooring in the increased width space, but that isn't a big thing for a good DIY'er.

Phil