+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Patching a drywall/plaster hybrid wall

I need to do some wall repair around some baseboard molding. There are some small holes and caved-in portions that rise just above the baseboards, so it's a fairly inconspicuous area.

Being such a small area of only a few feet wide by inches high, my thinking was to rip out the wall from the floor to about 6 inches above and replace with drywall and plaster (or jc).

I was surprised to find that that is exactly how this wall is already put together: there is drywall on the studs with a small coating of plaster on top.

If this were just drywall I would plan on using tape on the border of the new drywall patch.

But since I have to do a build up of plaster/jc on top of the drywall I'm not sure if I should use tape at all. I'm not sure I can even use tape since the drywall will sit so far below the level of the finished wall.

Has anyone done this before?

Default Re: Patching a drywall/plaster hybrid wall

What you have is rock lath with plaster. The rock lath was used as a backer instead of wood lath. It was a precursor to drywall.
    I would just build up the area with plaster or joint compound. If the old plaster is already off down to the lath clean up the hole and angle the edges back in a bit to key the edge.
    If you just want to fill the depression, clean and rough up the paint and fill with joint compound. No tape is needed.

Default Re: Patching a drywall/plaster hybrid wall

Thanks for the reply, ed.