+ Reply to Thread

Default Patching holes in wood siding

In two or three places, the wood siding on our 1909 California bungalow has holes that someone previously has fixed by tacking piece of tin over them. If we choose to repair rather than replace these boards, what's the best material to use these days to patch holes? Hopefully something that sands well, blends when painted etc.

Portland, Oregon, formerly of Chicago

Default Re: Patching holes in wood siding

For years, I have used common Bondo for patching woodpecker holes and knots that have fallen out. I will use small fnishing nails around the inside of the hole to form a kind of mini-re-bar to secure the patch. Bondo dries chemically, so the depth of the patch doesn't matter as to drying. Deep patches do require two or three coats, as the Bondo tends to sag under its own weight. Bondo is stabile and does not schrink or expand with the weather. You do want to lay it out well, as it is not the easiest stuff to sand.

When patching rough cedar, I would place masking tape all around the hole, so as not to unneccesarily fill the surrounding texture. On the final coat, I would drag a plastic spackle knife into which I had made a toothed pattern with a file. This left a facsimile of the rough cedar texture.

A repair over an old repair is not the best. Look into replacement.

Ordjen, you're onto my tricks I often match rough-cut surface patches with a plastic knife from the local fast-food place on finer-grained wood, the grooves are just right for it. I really like the tool cost and clean-up procedure doing it this way.

I learned to be creative with tools from an old plasterer who had a bag full of bent spoons, knives, odd pieces of metal, and other items along with his trowels. "It's all about the shape" he told me and he could repair darn near any plaster molding with his stuff no matter how intricate it was.

Don't just think outside the box, throw the whole darn box out and think without reservations!