+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brown Hot Water

Default Brown Hot Water

We recently purchased a home. At inspection rusty hot water ran from spigots in the master bath, kitchen and entry hall bathroom. The home owner agreed to address the problem and when we conducted a final walk through the hot water was running clear. However, two days after we moved in the rust colored water re-appeared. We called the realtor and a plumber came out and attempted to drain the hot water heater. The water ran slow but it was clear from the heater and he did not drain it to empty. He stated that there was apparently sediment in the hot water pipes distal to the heater and when the hot water hits the deposits we get the rusty /brown hot water for a period of time. His solution was to run the water to clear. We have done that and after two months the rusty water intermittently reappears. We have noted that when the dish washer is running, the water coming out of the hot side in the kitchen sink is initially very rusty then clears after a few minutes. We are at a loss as to how to permanently correct this problem. The previous owner has communicated that she did not have a problem with brown or rusty hot water. Morover, she has been VERY honest about other matters regarding the house and we have no reason to doubt her. The house was built in 2006 and we are on municipal water. Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks “Rusty”.

Default Re: Brown Hot Water

You could have some connector, shut off valve or other component, made of galvanized in your water pipe system. Ask your plumber to check, inside and out. Most of the system is hidden in the walls or ground, and it's hard to check, but still worth a shot.

A house this young should not have any galvanized in it, but maybe something was replaced since it was built, using galvanized.

And as far as the nice seller, I can assure you that she did know about the rusty water.

After I installed a water filter, it took nearly a year for all of the sediment deposits in the pipes to work their way out.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Rust normally appears in galvanized pipes when the water has had a chance to set for a spell. Frequent, daily use helps prevent the rust from accumulating enough to show, but as soon as you turn the tap off the new rust starts again.

How often do you use these faucets ?

WHat does the inside of the toilet tank look like ? (not the bowl)

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post

And as far as the nice seller, I can assure you that she did know about the rusty water.
    Ya think?
    Sorry, nothing to add except I would suspect the water heater.

[QUOTE=ed21;289258]

Ya think?

ed21,

You and I have been around the block a few times, we ought to know.

Before I fixed, maintained, remodeled, rented, built additions and built new homes, I was selling homes, so I've seen all kinds of sellers.

Back then a sales contract was 1 page long. Today, it's a book.

One of the reasons is: sellers don't disclose much and if asked, give an innocent naive look, like "for the best of my knowledge..."

Thanks for the advice! I will check the toilet tank(s). However it is only the hot water that runs rusty. The cold water is always crystal clear.

Forgot... I will check around the hot water heater for any galvanized pipes. The house is on a crawl space pipes are insulated and not very easy to reach.

If the water heater is old, consider replacing it, and maybe solve your rust issue.

Quote Originally Posted by ed21 View Post
    Ya think?
    Sorry, nothing to add except I would suspect the water heater.
    Yes the glazing on the inside of the tank has broken down and the tank will be leaking soon