+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default High gloss look:high gloss paint vs lacquer vs shellac vs polyurethane

I am about to paint a buffet server and would like a gloss effect but I am uncertain whether to use high gloss, semi gloss or satin paint and what finish to use over as a protectant. Eventually if I reprint it, I don't know if high gloss paint will come off as easily as if I used satin finish and then a sealer. Thanks

Default Re: High gloss look:high gloss paint vs lacquer vs shellac vs polyurethane

As a rule of thumb, the more sheen a paint has, the more durable. A high quality paint should not need a protective cover coat.

Avoid using an acrylic paint on a buffet upon which items will be set. Acrylics do not form a hard, non-sticky surface as do oil paints. There are new generation water based alkyds that give good performance and some hybrids of alkyd and acrylic or urethanes. Insul-X Cabinet Coat is one that comes to mind. Sherwin Williams also has a couple versions of water based alkyds.