+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Working without Nail Gun

Hi,

I am planning on installing the trim along our basement floor and doing the stairs with laminate. I will be using stair nose to finish the job. I am new to this and trying to learn. All the videos I have seen so far are done with nail gun.

Is it possible to do this without a nail guy? Just using a hammer, nails, and a nail set.

Thanks.

Default Re: Working without Nail Gun

Yes it is. Houses were built for decades without power tools. Some still are. Just ask the Amish.

I'd start by purchasing a fresh box of bandaids though

It's still done this way - finish hammer, finished nails and nail set - on many jobs.

To avoid smashing your fingers and reaching for the band aids, drill pilot holes.

Another tip: I like to raise the baseboard 1/32" off the floor. The tiny gap makes it easy to paint the baseboard later, using a metal guide.

I installed the baseboards and chair rail in my powderoom by finding the studs, drilling pilot holes in the trim and then nailing it down, nail set etc. I did not need any bandaids - but it took forever. A nail gun is on my list of powertools I want - I wish I had bought one years ago. If you think you might be doing more of these types of projects, look into getting one. I have a power mitre saw and that is also worth the investment.

Before you have a go with the hammer I would recommend building something- boxes, trellises, whatever- to get the hang of it so that your misses don't destroy your new trim- that can hurt as bad as a sore thumb! And yes- pilot holes will help greatly.

Or perhaps someone you know can loan you a nailgun- I don't know if these can be rented but compressors can. Sometimes the 'big-box' stores have deals on small compressor/trim gun kits, and if you plan on much DIY in the future that may be something worth thinking about. Honestly, though I spent many a year building without guns, I would quit the business if I had to go back to hand-driving all my nails today. It's just not worth the effort when there's a much better way, but one room ain't too bad so the choice is yours.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Mastercarpentry View Post
    Sometimes the 'big-box' stores have deals on small compressor/trim gun kits, and if you plan on much DIY in the future that may be something worth thinking about.
    Ah, but WHICH nail gun? You'll find three basic types (and multiple subtypes with in each group) -- brad, finish, and framing. For general trim installation, a finish nailer is probably the best choice. Choose one based on the availability of nails... you don't want to get some odd style that locks you into a particular brand or that it will be hard to find places to buy.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencepost View Post
    Ah, but WHICH nail gun? You'll find three basic types (and multiple subtypes with in each group) -- brad, finish, and framing. For general trim installation, a finish nailer is probably the best choice. Choose one based on the availability of nails... you don't want to get some odd style that locks you into a particular brand or that it will be hard to find places to buy.
    Not so fast there, Kimosabe! Brad nailers are actually better, in some cases, than finish nailers.

A brad nailer has a smaller diameter fastener = smaller hole to fill, in some cases the nail almost completely disappears. Brads are good where you don't need a whole lot of holding power.

Finish nailers have a heavier gauge nail and come in longer lengths and will give more holding power.

Which to choose, really depends on the situation and what you're nailing. Now, having said this, DO NOT just run to Harbor Freight and buy whatever they've got on the shelf because it's cheap. That garbage is cheap for a reason, they are not accurate, not durable, and can actually be dangerous because they don't shoot straight. Stick to industry name brands (Senco, Portercable, Hitachi, Paslode, etc. ) and you will have a gun that will last you a lifetime. Stay away from Harbor Freight, Rigid (Home Depot brand ), and gray market/no name brands, again, these guns are cheap for a reason, and really are a pain in the butt to use.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Stick to industry name brands (Senco, Portercable, Hitachi, Paslode, etc. ) and you will have a gun that will last you a lifetime. Stay away from Harbor Freight, Rigid (Home Depot brand ), and gray market/no name brands, again, these guns are cheap for a reason, and really are a pain in the butt to use.
    Also stay away from "oil free" compressors. They are garbage and won't last long -- the name brand ones might be slightly better, but still not reliable in the long term. Get a good, name-brand compact compressor with real lubrication; it will last many times longer than an oil free one but won't cost very much more.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

My oil free Campbell Hausfeld compressor has been working just fine going on 20 years now.

Today I started building a queen size headboard, using solid oak.

I used finish nails, nail set, screws and glue. No gun, no compressor, no brads.

For most small jobs, certain power tools are simply unnecessary.