+ Reply to Thread

Default Paint line between wall and ceiling

I have a l980's house with an add on sun room. The ceiling is a white sprayed on acoustical ceiling (popcorn). The walls are knock down plaster. The ceiling surface and the wall surface meet and no trough was made on the acoustical ceiling to allow painting at the edge. To make a finished look I would like to put molding at ceiling height on the walls which I could paint. What type of molding would work? Is there a better solution than molding? I'd appreciate some ideas to solve this problem.

Ellen

Default Re: Paint line between wall and ceiling

I find there the easiest cut-in to do since there is no straight line to start with, so that's one less thing to worry about! The technique I use is as f9ollows-

1- Instead of just tapping the dipped brush against the side of the can, wipe the backside (top) against the rim.

2- Apply the brush at a sharper angle than usual- about 45 degrees- so that you don't hit the popcorn.

3- Approach the line from slightly below with long sweeping strokes.

In all cutting in, I find I can do better going faster than I think I can- it smooths out muscle jerkiness and keeps you from trying to get that last tiny bit closer only to go too far. You can also shield the popcorn with a wide drywall knife and wipe it clean every time you pull it away- lots of worktime but makes for a nice clean line anyone can do. The key with all cutting in to never touch the opposing surface even if you don't get quite all the way to it. Draw a line with the paint just short of what you're cutting against and it will look fine.

Something to think about if you do put molding up: You will still have the interface with the popcorn to deal with so it's not going to solve your painting problem, only move it elsewhere!

Phil

Look into CROWN MOLDING.

I find it helpful to straigthen the popcorn line out first by folding over 100 weight paper into a sharp crease and running it along the ceiling line, knocking down a lot of the popcorn bumps in the corners. This works best where not too much paint build-up is on the popcorn.

I do will suggest crown molding as they are one of the architectural features that can really add value to your home. They add a visual presence that can make a home feel more upscale. Done

I do will suggest crown molding as they are one of the architectural features that can really add value to your home. They add a visual presence that can make a home feel more upscale. Done
    So does removing the popcorn ceiling ......

Thanks to everyone for your ideas - I think I have a plan of action. You gave me some good advice.

Ellen

Would have to agree with Houston: nothing screams out of date like popcorn ceiling! Of course, you could put down blue and green shag carpeting and tell everyone you are tryhing for a retro Holiday Inn room look!