+ Reply to Thread

Default window installation

Hello,

I had a contractor here to perform a new window installation. The work was completed up to where the flashing and window are installed. It was discovered during the installation that the original window was wrong (retrofit window without framing and moisture seal). Some homewrapping also appeared to be damaged. So the next step is to schedule to repair the wrapping and re-stucco it. But looks like it will have some rain a bit in the next couple of days. I'm concerned that the rain will get into the (now exposed) portions of the wood framing. Is this going to be a problem? Thanks.

Default Re: window installation

Rain won't hurt the wood, but it will cause mold if it gets to insulation or drywall. Batten a tarp over the hole during the rain, then you won't have water getting into the wall.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Duct tape and sheet plastic

Gorilla tape it.

Thanks guys. My wife and I did just that last night using tape and large plastic sheet. This is the first time for my home ownership, and first time for me to use a company on diamond certified that specializes in windows to perform new window installation. During the quote, they said it would take one day to perform the work. However, once the new window arrives and they come to my house to do the installation, they told me that they would need to have another guy later to restore the stucco after the window is installed. It is now 3rd business day after the window is nailed in. Is this normal practice where a company will take days between nailing in the window and getting another person to fill in the stucco? I'm annoyed with leaving a big hole in my wall.....

It's not necessarily normal practice but there are contractors who will do disappointing things like this. At the end of the day the real issue was not correcting expectations once they knew that the project wasn't going to hit milestones. In any type of home project delays can arise due to unforeseen complications. In these instances it's important to communicate the cause of the issue and how the issue will impact the schedule.

Welcome to home ownership.

Now you know that some contractors will say anything to get the job. Things like: "We'll be done in ONE day". They knew that they would have to finish the stucco, and would need more than a day. They knew that there was a chance for rain. Yet they rushed to secure the job.

Next time, before you sign a contract, include a late charge (penalty) clause for specific performance. That will get them to be true to their promises.

In your case, the least they could have done, was to water proof around the new window or cover it with plastic. You didn't have to do the latter, it was their duty.

Thanks, that helps me feel better as just one of the things to consider when dealing with contractors. Sad, but every mishap is lesson to be learned, I guess. And I agree with karlteistor on setting expectations. So I did just that when I called the manager at this company. He explained that breaking stucco to install windows is not done often enough to have a full time stucco expert on staff as most of their work on stucco house is with retrofit windows. He accepted the job because he has connection with a stucco expert, but that person works part time. He needed to find out when the stucco guy is available to finish the job. I told him I need a confirmed date for performing the work by Friday.
    Last edited by generic_home_owner; 04-22-2014 at 07:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    Welcome to home ownership.

Now you know that some contractors will say anything to get the job. Things like: "We'll be done in ONE day". They knew that they would have to finish the stucco, and would need more than a day. They knew that there was a chance for rain. Yet they rushed to secure the job.

Next time, before you sign a contract, include a late charge (penalty) clause for specific performance. That will get them to be true to their promises.

In your case, the least they could have done, was to water proof around the new window or cover it with plastic. You didn't have to do the latter, it was their duty.
    Unfortunately, many contractors will take on a smaller job between finishing their larger ones, and then brush off the timeline for the smaller one because they're running behind on the larger project.

I like the idea for the "late charge" addition to the contract; I do most of the smaller renovation work myself, but could have used that on my kitchen remodel last year when the contractor was showing up for work 1-2 days per week.