+ Reply to Thread

Default use existing windows

I have two dbl panes of 22 x 52 glass that will be removed from a bow window that in its full size, which includes 2 more windows that open, allows a lot of heat loss. My idea is to take the bow window out, reframe and put these two dbl panes in side ways then shape the frame over the glass at the top to resemble a arched transom window about 20 x 48 or 50. I wondered if this was a thing that could/should be done and if so are there any pointers as to how to get it accomplished.
    Thanks
    John
    Last edited by grasshopper1; 04-21-2014 at 06:03 PM.

Default Re: use existing windows

Window making is pretty high up on the skill level list, so if you're having to ask perhaps you'd be better off finding a window unit you like and using it- a lot easier to do and definitely less time and effort involved. Even just turning a window sideways can cause problems based on the way things are constructed. I'm all for saving $$$ and re-using good materials, but sometimes it's better to go with the easy way by buying what you need instead of making it. You can find another use for the left-overs.

I once worked on a house where the homeowner showed me the shop he'd built in back, and how he had turned two double-hung wood windows sideways to fit the spaces and save money since he got them for free. He couldn't see anything wrong with that since they were weatherstripped. I showed him how water would pool and how he needed weep holes, and even then they would be best caulked shut or they would still leak in a wind driven rain. I kind of ruined his day- he was expecting compliments, but I couldn't go there and sleep well at night too.

Phil