+ Reply to Thread

Default Gap between new floor & door frame - Should I pay for the fix?

Hired a contractor for kitchen remodel. Contract includes putting in new subfloor & hardwood floor. New floor is in, and there is now a 1/2" gap between floor and door frame. Contractor suggests 2 fixes: install new frame, or install plinths on this frame and 2 others in the kitchen. He's expecting me to pay. Interested in knowing people's thoughts on whether I should be expected to pay for the fix. Seems pretty obvious that the subfloor he put in is not as thick as the one he took out. Is this a problem he should have seen coming and avoided? Is it just one of this things, and reasonable that I should cover the cost?

Keith

Default Re: Gap between new floor & door frame - Should I pay for the fix?

Without seeing your contract, it seems logical to have the installer pay for it, to make the job complete.

Don't pay off any balance until this issue is resolved.

Default Re: Gap between new floor & door frame - Should I pay for the fix?

They should fix it for you because they should have ensured that the new flooring would match the elevation of the old when complete. If you're happy with fixing the door trim then that's the easiest way to make it look good, but if it were me I'd be wanting the subfloor raised to where it belongs. If you put it this way to the contractor I think they will be happy to do the trim for free- it will cost them a lot less than redoing the subfloor won't it?

And BTW, you now know somebody to not use again or recommend to anyone else.

Phil