+ Reply to Thread

Default Re-painting a metal backyard deck

Every year we seem to be sanding and painting our metal backyard deck, on top and underneath. Most of the deck was built with the house in 1914 and is still sturdy and strong. We've sanded and wire brushed it back to the original metal and applied layers of rustoleum, but it still seems to always rust and peal as spring begins. How can we make this yearly chore less labor intensive and the paint job last longer.

Default Re: Re-painting a metal backyard deck

Are you priming the bare metal? Paint alone is not meant to adhere directly to metal though it does it fairly well sometimes. I prefer etching primers and have had good luck with the one 'rust-converter' type I've tried (can't remember the brand but they're apparently not all the same). Also, based on the situation you might find it easier to sandblast and spray the primer. Remember that there's usually a curing time listed with the primer before you apply the paint.

Phil

Have you ever seen highway bridge painting? they use a primer on the metal.

Near our house, the city has been repainting all the highway bridges. They build scaffolding, cover the metal and apparently do a lot of spraying. What primer is the best for spraying and long lasting. Is sand blasting something I can do myself?

The brownish-red color primer used on iron is Krylon Iron Guard.

Can you do sand blasting yourself? if you ask this question, probably not. Hire a pro, to do a good job, so you can start your priming over a clean surface.