+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Inexpensive ways to spruce up current kitchen

Okay, you guys have convinced me that trying to re-laminate a kitchen counter top is a bit beyond my capabilities and not a great use of my time. I would like to spruce up a kitchen in a summer vacation home that is rented out part of the time. I did look into having all the cabinets taken down and replaced but the cost is just too much. (And that's definitely not a DIY for me.) So I'm looking for ways to spruce up the kitchen a bit. Got a new faucet last year, all the appliances are new or nearly new. We have painted the walls. Thinking new pulls for the cupboards. I was also thinking of painting the cupboards but was told by someone that it may not work. These cupboards are pressed wood. If I can't paint what's the best way to get them squeaky clean? Over the years gunk has built up in the crevices that regular cleaning just doesn't seem to get rid of.

One other question - this home has a problem with dampness which is mostly noticeable in closets and cupboards. The closets and cupboards get a damp smell in them. We do use dry ease in all the closets/cupboards which helps but it would be nice to figure out some longer term solution. There is only a crawl space beneath the house. Dehumidifier is not an option because I know that most tenants won't deal with it once it is full. We're considering ductless a/c to cool down the house so that should help with the dampness. Any suggestions for other solutions?

Default Re: Inexpensive ways to spruce up current kitchen

Is there a vapor barrier on the ground in that crawlspace? Could be the source of that dampness. Is the crawlspace vented?

Before you start pouring money into the house, treat the cause of you dampness, starting, like ordjen suggests, in the crawl space.

Crawl space is vented. Not sure about the vapor barrier. Think it may just be sand/dirt on the ground. Will have to look when we open the house for the season.

If mold evolves, you could have a very serious suit on your hands with your renters.

I have never tried painting pressed wood – which I believe is a thin veneer over particle board. You probably could paint them with a good primer like Zinsser BIN or Zinsser 123, but if they are that junked up then I do not think painting is worth your time. If you do paint, do a small test area first.

It might also be a problem cleaning as the cleaners needed to remove the built up crud might also remove the veneer - and you do not want to paint over crud.

Do you think you could replace part of your cabinets? You could replace the lower cabinets only and do open shelving for the uppers like in these pictures: http://www.assortmentblog.com/assort...chen-tour.html
    Or
    http://www.bhg.com/kitchen/sink/farmhouse/#page=1

Open shelving is inexpensive, but adds to the chore list as they need to be kept clean – not something you might feel like in a vacation home. However, in a year or two you could have upper cabinets put in. Also, you need a decent looking wall behind the shelves – or panel the wall with beadboard, which can also serve as a backsplash.

You could purchase and have installed unfinished cabinets and prime and paint them yourself. The installation cost is the same finished or not, but the cabinets themselves would be less so. You can also substitute a lower cabinet with a skirt fronted area with or shelf with baskets. (I would not recommend this in a house with toddlers.) This little kitchen uses several of these ideas:
    http://frenchcountrycottage.blogspot...t-cottage.html

If your laminate countertop is in poor shape, a new one is not too expensive. They are very hardy and if you have renters, you need hardy.

Other ideas are to freshen up your window treatments if needed and some new pictures or wall décor. I picked up several lovely pieces of mismatched china for very little money and have used it on my soffits and walls for a little vintage charm.

If the cabinets are OK, you might want to look into replacing the doors and drawer fronts only. Plenty of places to buy them on-line. You needn't match the cabinet color; use a contracting one.

Quote Originally Posted by queen60 View Post
    If the cabinets are OK, you might want to look into replacing the doors and drawer fronts only. Plenty of places to buy them on-line. You needn't match the cabinet color; use a contracting one.
    Yes , you can replace the door, however as you want to rent it, I don't agree with it, as you know most of the tie tenants don't take care of house.

It depends on the condition of your cabinets and the current situation. I think maybe repainting, re staining o refinishing your kitchen cabinets ( I found this article useful for how to use these methods and pros and cons of those. Ways to refinishing your kitchen cabinets) would work well for you and are much more cheaper ways,.

I think you must think about re staining or repainting your kitchen cabinet as these ways are more econoical for a house you want to give it to rent

Only the vinyl-clad hardboard cabinet doors can't be successfully painted, all the others can be. New doors are a good option at more expense. New countertops go miles towards updating a kitchen. It's really about how much you want to spend. Color is what you see, and painting is the cheapest way to bring those up to date even if it means working around colors you can't change like existing countertops and floors. Some color combination will look good unless you're saddled with something really outre' such as pink countertops or floor tiles.

With anything rental, durability needs to be taken into account- renters are not known for taking care of things or using them gently. Once primed and painted properly, re-painting is easy and quick should you find it needed before the next tenant moves in, and that allows frequent updating of colors too.

But a home is only as good as what it's built on and no amount of updating style will compensate for structural problems such as excessive humidity so address that first and foremost, else you may find yourself replacing lots of things- including your kitchen remodeling- because of that.

Phil