+ Reply to Thread

Default How can I remove these storm windows?

My house has old wooden single pane windows. Most have an exterior pane attached for insulation. (I'm calling this a storm window, but I'm not sure if that's accurate).

There is a lot of dirt in between the original window and the exterior pane. I want to remove the exterior pane to clean in between, but I can't figure out how to get it off. There's what appears to be a handle at the bottom of each one, but pulling it doesn't seem to do anything. I don't see any other tabs or screws that would release it.

Does anyone have experience with these and know how to pull them off?

Windows:

Close Up:

Default Re: How can I remove these storm windows?

Looking at the way it is built, and the handle that is on it, i would guess that they lift straight up a short distance, then pull off. I have not seen these before though. You probably need to tap around the frame to loosen up any dirt that may be lodged between the seems while lifting. Some light tapping upwards on a corner while lifting will probably tell you if this is the case or not.

Otherwise if you can look from the inside and see how the seams come together you may be able to tell how the 2 parts connect.

Most likely the connection points (nails or others) are buried under layers of paint. Clean the paint off to expose them.

Removing storm windows and then cleaning them is really very tricky, especially if they are old and havenít been removed for several years. I have found a link that might serve helpful to you and can resolve you issue. Here is the link http://www.do-it-yourself-window-cle...l#.U1UDzlVdWjo

Thanks for the link robertmatheka.
    My windows don't seem to fit the description of any of the types mentioned in the article though. I still don't see any way to remove them.

I would guess some keyhole slots on the frame that fit over screws or something similar. Tap upward on the bottom of the storm window frame. Use a strip of wood to cushion the hammer blow or rubber mallet. Take it easy at first, but it make take some good wacks to break it loose.

My guess is the bottom snaps out then you just lift it off of hooks at the top.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

I'd try levering them up at the corners using wood so as to not damage the metal frames- something about pounding on them with a mallet makes me rather nervous. Post pics of what you find when you get them off, should be interesting to see how they did it!

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Mastercarpentry View Post
    I'd try levering them up at the corners using wood so as to not damage the metal frames- something about pounding on them with a mallet makes me rather nervous. Post pics of what you find when you get them off, should be interesting to see how they did it!

Phil
    That's why I said take it easy at first, but most likely any screws and slots will have a build up of corrosion and dirt holding the assembly in place. Nothing like some good whacks to break it loose (or break the glass).
    Ditto on pics to see how it was done.

I would remove the handle and see if there are any clues under there. Perhaps attaching the handles was the last step of installation and you can see some connections under it. Even a brand name or part number could help you hunt down more information about that product.

Barring that, I would use a knife to cut any paint or caulk sticking it to the sash and start wiggling it. Good luck.