+ Reply to Thread

Default corded drill with electronic brake?

Iíve got a Craftsman cordless drill that has served me well over the last 5 years, but the li-ion batteries have effectively died on me. Iíve done some hunting and it appears there isnít anything but generic replacement batteries for this model, and even those are $90-100.

So now Iím looking for a corded drill as a replacement Ė I know there are plenty of options out there, but what Iím really looking for is the electronic brake. The corded drills Iíve used donít seem allow for the same precision I got with my cordless Ė when I let my finger off the trigger, the drill keeps spinning, instead of stopping immediately like it did with the cordless.

Assuming Iím not just using these drill wrong (not outside the realm of possibilities), are there any options out there for me?

thanks in advance!
    jm

Default Re: corded drill with electronic brake?

Get one that features variable speed.

If you want opinions on which one to get, just wait here a couple of days for members posts.

My choice: Makita, for corded or portable.

I've used both type of drills and don't see benefit of a drill with a brake.
    The LED light on some drills can be handy at times. I have used them, but don't own any.

If you are gutsy there are ways to bring rechargeable batteries back to life with an AC charger. Google it and see if that is something you are comfortable with. It's nice to have a backup.
    It's this old house, not this built after your dad was born house.

Why do you want a corded drill? I have used many drills, and the only reason I have to justify a corded drill is for Mixing Mortar, or possibly a Drywall Gun for speed. My choice of weapon is Dewalt, but there are other comparables. I have used them all, owned most of them, and broke or exceeded the life of all of them. I recently purchased and use the 20v Max lithium Brushless impact and screw gun, but i also still have the older 18v units which I have both NIMH and Lithuim batteries. In my opinion the 18v has better overall power and seems to run longer and stronger. It appears to me that the 20v has an over temp shutoff possibly on the battery or in the unit, which I have exceeded on a few occasions "large dull paddle bits, lots of holes" . In any case I only have the 1.5AH battery for it and it frustrates me when it dies faster than the older 18v. The lights on the unit are definately a plus, since they stay on for a duration after you let go of the handle. If I had the larger batteries, I may have a better opinion of them.

In any case, I do Construction and Remodeling, and with Just 2 good batteries, 3 is better, I can almost always perform all my work without having to wait for one to charge. the weight balance is good, and if you compare it to the Craftsman unit, or at least the one I had there is no real comparison.

On the same note, don't go for the larger drill/hammerdrill, they are ok for putting in anchors in hollow brick or cinder block if you need it for that, but that is about it, otherwise are not worth the additional weight. If you have to drill holes in concrete, spend the money on a true hammer Drill, SDS or simmilar. A few holes will make it worth it in time saved. It's one of those things that unless you try it you wont understand how much better they work.