+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Roof Lining

Default Roof Lining

Ok so have seen the show many times an have been wondering about this product they use in roofs. Ti`s like a black sheet with an adhesive backing. Don't know the name of it an was wondering if anyone could give the name of it. Also opinions of those who have used it. They usally apply it under the shingles as I believe a starter course an if it can be used as flashing? Have a lot of questions I know but thanks in advance for answeres

Default Re: Roof Lining

There are a few products in roofing and window/door flashing.

The "starter roll" you referred to goes on under the first row of shingles, so that they will be on the same level as subsequent rows. They are harder to find these days and roofers are now using regular flat 3-tab shingles cut in half, as starters.

Don't use them as flashing. Instead, buy flashing material at your local roofing supply store, and use that. BTW, window flashing DOESN'T have to have adhesive. Roofers staple or nail glue less flashing around the windows and doors.

If you need more info, just go to roofing supply outlets, not Big Box Stores, and pick their brains. But don't go there in the morning - they are usually too busy to get roofers in and out in the mornings.

The rubbery, self stick product is Grace Ice and Water Shield. Follow the manufacturers instructions.

Ice & water water shield is not the same product as self adhesive rubberized flashing that can be used around windows. The I & WS is used at edges, valleys and peaks. The manufacturer has diagrams and instruction about how to use. I've heard of rubberized flashing or roof felt used to cover the upper edge of exterior deck joists and beams.

Hi, Are you looking for Bitch-a-thane? This is used when there isn't enough insulation in the attic and the escaping heat causes ice dams. What are you trying to do? Thanks

Ed you are correct which is why I mentioned the instructions.

I think the OP is looking for I&W S which will have a pebbled surface similar to shingles. The smooth-faced product you see used around windows etc. is a soft flashing. Grace corp. makes both which may be where the confusion comes in. Bituthene is a product similar to the soft flashing but is available in wider rolls. All this stuff is good, but you need to use the proper product for the purpose and for the place.

Since you mentioned shingling and starter rows, I think you're looking for the I&W S. Personally I prefer to also have either a rolled starter or a reversed row of shingles on top of that since 100% of the water coming down the roof sees the bottom edge so you can't be too durable there. Better safe than rot and leaks!

Phil