+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Converting deck to enclosed room

Ok.. we bought this lovely tiny house and it's a lil odd. It's a two bedroom. Both bedrooms are side-by-side and they both lead to outdoors to a covered porch. Not sure why they did it?? but I'm wanting to turn the porch into an enclosed room. Like a playroom/spare bedroom or maybe even very large walk in closets for the bedrooms. But my question is...

Do I need to do anything underneath the deck before enclosing the top? The deck has beams but is also enclosed/sitting on stones, kinda like a stone wall, so the soil is not exposed. I was told, by my darling mother, I may have to lay some kind of black cloth underneath due to the soil?

Any suggestions on this?

Default Re: Converting deck to enclosed room

Without even seeing your photos, let me tell you right off the bat, that your local code probably requires a window to the outside in each bedroom - making enclosing this patio/deck impossible.

Well the bedrooms both do have windows.

I'm trying to add a picture but this thing isn't playing very nice. I added a link. Hope it works!

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/k...ps869407fc.jpg

I've tried adding pics numerous time and yet they won't load. But there are windows in the bedroom.

Also a good chance the deck won't properly support the walls and roof unless reinforced. A crawl space will need ventilation and access. It won't be as easy as you might think to get it permitted.

TOH wont allow you to load a picture till after a certain number of post. You can put it on photobucket and then post the link.

I am not a contractor but I would be concerned about connecting the deck to the house without a proper foundation otherwise, overtime the deck part may shift, cracking walls etc.

My concern is the foundation. I can't tell from the picture is it is properly footed,if it is purely cosmetic, or if it is just piled up on the ground and is supporting the porch. What you have may be a deck on peers with the stones added later for looks.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

squirrelcowgirl,

You can't put a bedroom in front of an existing bedroom. The existing bedroom has a window to the outside - that's code. You can't build a second window in front of it, even if the second bedroom has a window to the outside - that's not to code.

Also, you can't put a bedroom to which the only entrance is through another bedroom.

Not clear? not sure? want to find out more? - head on to your local building department.