+ Reply to Thread

Default Looking for best product roof shingles for deflecting heat in Southern California

What is the absolute best product for deflecting heat from a roof? So far, all I've found is Duration® Premium Cool Shingles at http://www.owenscorning.com/roofing/...-premium-cool/

Is this the best roof shingle product for deflecting heat from a roof?

And, what else can I do besides changing roof shingles and adding an attic fan to keep my attic/roof cool?

Default Re: Looking for best product roof shingles for deflecting heat in Southern California

A white metal roof installed as a cool roof my be better.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Default Re: Looking for best product roof shingles for deflecting heat in Southern California

Hi, You can vent the roofing, add a grid of strapping over the old roof to make a vent system and install the new roofing over this grid. Thanks

anyone have any specific products? I'm not familiar with the technology of roofing. also mtman I see you posted the same solution some place else and I'm wondering if you have any specific links? do you have any pics of what your solution looks like? how thick is the "grid of strapping"?

Quote Originally Posted by tohtdsvg View Post
    anyone have any specific products? I'm not familiar with the technology of roofing. also mtman I see you posted the same solution some place else and I'm wondering if you have any specific links? do you have any pics of what your solution looks like? how thick is the "grid of strapping"?
    Hi, I don't have a link or pic but I have been using this vent system for 30yrs with good results. The strapping is 1x3in and installed in 2 layers. The first layer is applied vertical over each rafter and the second layer is horizontal and can be spaced 12", 16", or 24" depenting on the new roofing you are using. You should use screws and not nails to attach this grid of strapping. The new roofing will shade the old roof and the air flowing through the vent system will cool the roofing. You also need to use a ridge vent to let the hot air out. Thanks