+ Reply to Thread

Default Is there a type of paint for the house that delflects heat?

I have a 20 year old, white colored, two story house that's never been painted. During the summer months it get to be about 80 degrees outside and feels about 90 or so inside without air conditioning (I only have a portable unit). Basically it's unbearable for me anyways.

The thing is it feels just as hot downstairs as upstairs, so I'm thinking a good portion of the heat is coming from the heat hitting the walls. Is there any kind of paint that will deflect heat that I can use to repaint my home?
    And could someone make a complete list of all things I can do to lower the internal temperature of my house during the summer? It's very important that I get this done for the sake of the elderly residents on the property.

Default Re: Is there a type of paint for the house that delflects heat?

You can't get a much better reflector than white. If you can't get air conditioning, whole house fans could help.

You need insulation, mainly attic insulation. White paint has a little effect, you can try it.

I had a customer who had terrible sun exposure with no shade trees. I built him a long awning/patio on the south and west sides, which lowered the indoor temp a bit. You can try that, A shaded are is about 7-10 degrees cooler.

Electric fans don't cool at all, but at least move the hot air around.

Install roll-up shades on south- and west-facing windows -- on the OUTSIDE. This will reduce the "greenhouse" effect.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencepost View Post
    Install roll-up shades on south- and west-facing windows -- on the OUTSIDE. This will reduce the "greenhouse" effect.
    This will help greatly! You don't need anything expensive either, just whatever bamboo/plastic roll-up will work, though the nicer the shade, the longer it should last. Also, instead of mounting it directly against the window, try hanging it several inches away from the wall, this will block the sun from heating the window and still allow air movement to keep the area from building trapped heat. You could even hang them along the length of the house to shade the wall and this will make a bit of difference too. If you're prone to wind, then batten down the lower edge of the shade to keep it from being damaged. I installed hooks to be able to roll the shade up when not needed, yet keep it securely deployed when in use.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

there seems to be specific products out there that claim to do a better job reflecting heat. something called envirocoat by kelly moore, does it work better than just white house paint? anyone know?

No direct experience with the brand and type, but you're not getting our point- the white paint you have now is doing at least 95% of what paint can possibly do to cool you paint-wise. If it's cheap enough then try it, just don't expect measurable results and plan on other heat mitigation techniques.

I am fairly well shaded here- only the front of my tiny place gets summer sun but this is upstate SC so it's hot by 9AM and getting hotter every day in the summer. And I have no A/C either. My approach is to introduce cooling air with a window fan at the coolest area, having it blow through the whole house in a linear fashion so that it carries all the heat through and out with maximum airflow. I stay 4-6 degrees cooler than the outside temp, which is enough for me (I'm used to our summers working outdoors). And from everyone else I hear that's about all the cooling you're likely to see from fans only though the moving air helps how you feel a lot. With as much house as you have, you might need several fans, or perhaps a ceiling mounted attic fan. I believe that with the air leaks inherent in every house, you do better by cooling with positive pressure (fan blowing in) that negative pressure (fan drawing out) because those leaks reduce the pressure of the airflow and may suck heat in instead of pushing it out. I've cooled most of the homes I've lived in here that way and it does work but it's not A/C by any means!

Phil

More on the subject of white paint:

I remember reading a research article about new car colors, which stated that there's no real advantage to white color in hot weather.

BTW: white, silver and black are the three most popular new car colors - 75% of new cars sold are in one of those colors.

I don't know about research, but black cars certainly get hotter than white. The real issue seems to be the solar gain through the windows that is trapped in a closed car. A reflector in the windshield makes a big difference. Similar to shading the house with trees, awnings or shades.

Wink Re: Is there a type of paint for the house that delflects heat?

I have never tried it but I did come across an insulating coating somewhere... just can't remember the brand. You can start by looking at this and then searching from there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_barrier_coating

GL