+ Reply to Thread

Default Painting outdoor furniture

We stripped the paint off a couple of wooden adirondack chairs and now are debating how to repaint them. The original paint was peeling. Should we use brush, roller or go with spraying the paint on? What type of paint should I use? Should I paint the back/under sides before I paint the front/top sides of the chairs? Best way to handle drips between the slats? Is it worth all the bother or would it be cheaper just to toss these and then buy replacements?

Default Re: Painting outdoor furniture

It depends on your DIY Spirit: some DIYers do things just for the heck of doing them and for the personal achievement and satisfaction, even when they don't make sense economically. Others are just too busy, or they don't want to get their hands dirty, so they hire a painter or dispose of the chairs and buy new.

How much are they anyway? do you get a lot of use out of them?

We're hoping to get some more use out of them. We basically stopped using them when the paint started peeling. We put them in the shed once we stripped the paint off them. I'd guess that they are mid level quality. Still have years of use if they are painted. I'm okay if I can do both chairs and ottomans over a weekend. I'm just wondering how to estimate how much paint I need. And if I can use spray paint because it would be faster. (always looks so perfect in those commercials).

I've done a lot of painting but mostly walls. I have stained furniture but never painted it.

Since you already stripped then, why not paint then. I would use a brush. A roller won't get between the slats. I'm sure an airless sprayer would work, but I find them too messy plus you would need to buy one. A couple of quarts should work. Use a gloss paint. A primer would probably help. Two finish coats. I would use an alkyd paint. I've been relying on sherwin Williams paint. The clerks are knowledgable, so ask them what the recommend. SW paints is always having sales, so wait for one. Other professional paint stores should also be able to advise.

Yes since you went to the trouble to strip them take a nice afternoon and paint them. A good primer is Zinsser BIN but it does require mineral spirits for clean up. I have also used the Zinsser 123 which is water based and had very good results with it. It is water clean up so easier to use at least for me. A dry surface with a good primer is the secret to the topcoat lasting longer.

Both product come in spray cans also, but that is a more expensive and messier at least here where the wind is always blowing.

If you decide to paint, the primer is mighty important. Use a sprayer for an even finish. Then Use gloss, with the sprayer again.

If you should decide that you do not want to deal with the chairs and are going to get rid of them, donate them to the ReStore store. They take household furniture and building supplies in good, sound shape. They sell them and the money goes to Habitat for Humanity. I think there are Restore stores just about everywhere.