+ Reply to Thread

Post Fohorn like sound in bathroom with out running the water.

My pipes have recently been making a for horn-like sound. The sound normally occurs randomly during the day.
    The last two were at 6:00 am nice alarm clock--not.
    House is 33 years old, two story and this just started about 6 months ago.
    I have drained all the water from the house, closed all the faucets and water supply valves then turned the water back on. Went around and open each faucet, flushed each toilets and turned on each shower. This process was from closets location to the main water supp;y valve to farthest faucet. This did not help the issue one bit.
    What is happening? I am dreading that next time the house alarm sounds because it could be at 3:00am.
    Mike

Default Re: Fohorn like sound in bathroom with out running the water.

Most likely the toilet flapper valve is leaking slightly causing the fill valve to open slightly and vibrate causing the sound.
    Replace the flapper valve.

Quote Originally Posted by ed21 View Post
    Most likely the toilet flapper valve is leaking slightly causing the fill valve to open slightly and vibrate causing the sound.
    Replace the flapper valve.
    do that but it could be the ballcock(toilet fill valve) washer. I woulds then change the ballcock.

Quote Originally Posted by michaelschultz View Post
    My pipes have recently been making a for horn-like sound. The sound normally occurs randomly during the day.
    The last two were at 6:00 am nice alarm clock--not.
    House is 33 years old, two story and this just started about 6 months ago.
    I have drained all the water from the house, closed all the faucets and water supply valves then turned the water back on. Went around and open each faucet, flushed each toilets and turned on each shower. This process was from closets location to the main water supp;y valve to farthest faucet. This did not help the issue one bit.
    What is happening? I am dreading that next time the house alarm sounds because it could be at 3:00am.
    Mike
    Are you able to isolate the sound to a specific area?

Ditto on it being in a toilet, but another possibility is the T&P valve on the water heater. Hot water may evaporate fairly quickly so lay some paper under the T&P drain line outlet and see if it got wet after the next 'foghorn' event.

Best test for leaky flapper valve:

Before going to bed, flush the toilet and let it refill. Turn off the supply, remove the tank lid, place it upside down on top of seat lid so you don't forget it's under test, then mark the water level in the tank with a magic marker. In the morning you'll be able to easily see if the water has dropped. 1/8" to 1/4" drop could be evaporation- anything more than that means replacing the flapper and maybe it's seat too.

Personally, my experience tells me that if more than one wet part of a toilet needs replacing, the best thing to do is just go ahead and rebuild it all while you're working on it. It only adds maybe a half-hour's time and the parts are normally cheap. Then you can rest easy knowing that you're not going to be working on it again for a long, long time!

Phil