+ Reply to Thread

Default Harvest Table - Stain not adhering to areas that I had glue

I made a harvest table using No.2 pine 1"x6"x10' boards. I distressed the wood joined them together with biscuits and clamps. Of course some of the glue seeped out between the joints. I wiped as much as I could with a wet towel during the gluing process. I completed one final sand, vacuumed, and cleaned the table with mineral spirits and then proceeded to stain (oil based minwax). I wish I could post a picture but for some reason it will not accept a jpeg file, but the stain did not adhere where the glue touched the wood. Is there anyway to correct this problem before I apply poly?

Default Re: Harvest Table - Stain not adhering to areas that I had glue

the only way to fix it now is to sand the top again. You should not have used a wet towel the best way is to let it dry sc**** most of the glue away and then sand. But now you just have to sand till the glue is gone. A pigment based stain like zar, ben moore, Sherwin Williams or many others will hide this a little better also. I personally cant stand minwax it is a real pain to work with.

Pine often absorbs stain unevenly and is prone to blotches. I usually use a sealer on pine before applying the stain to help get a more even look. That won’t help with the glue, but still might be a good idea.

I don't know how you distressed the wood, but it probably should have been done after the glue up. The glue seems to have penetrated and sealed the surface and may be next to impossible to remove. At this point sanding is probably the only thing to do, but you may have to go back to un-distressed wood.
    I glued up a maple table that I wiped with water soaked sponges, then sanded and had no problems with stain.

I wipe excess glue with a dry rag, then a wet rag or sponge followed be several clean damp ones, then sand or scr@pe the joint lightly when dry and it always works for me A single wipe or two only thins and spreads the excess glue- that is why it takes multiple clean wipes which will get all the glue off and thin ant remaining so that it takes minimal removal thereafter. If you're working with rough-cut or unalterable (distressed) surfaces then you simply cannot have any squeeze-out happening at all, and that isn't easy if you need a really good bond.

Phil