+ Reply to Thread

Default 1930 house - Asbestos and Lead Paint

I am looking at a house built in 1930. I am very concerned about asbestos and lead paint. the house is a day away from being condemned...it is in BAD shape. I am considering tearing it down to the studs and re-wiring, re-insulating, putting in drywall, paint, etc.

Is this a project I should pass on? I was advised that the electric has the cloth material and is most likely asbestos. It is OLD, and some has been stolen by copper thieves.

Thoughts?? I appreciate all help.

Default Re: 1930 house - Asbestos and Lead Paint

From your various posts I sense that you are not sure of yourself and the property is located in a shady part of town, where materials are stolen from inside the walls.

Reconsider purchasing this property, or risk losing your shirt.

If you want the house and the price is right, I wouldn't let asbestos and lead stop me. There are plenty of issues that will cost more to fix. It's all part of the mix to rehab a nearly condemned building.
    The paint and possible acm's can be tested.
    Edit: what dj1 said is valid. It's all part of the mix. I've seen building materials stolen from about everywhere. Even the copper downspouts off my mother's church that's not in a bad part of town and electric feed and copper tubing from refrigerant lines from outdoor units at a convenience store in the sticks.
    Last edited by ed21; 04-09-2014 at 01:15 PM.

I'm not worried about myself. I have done 2 rehabs but they were on newer homes. The idea of asbestos and lead has me a little worried. the house is a great opportunity.

Lets say I have asbestos on the pipes and in the electrical. Lead paint. What am I looking at to get it removed and the home made safe? house is 1100 sqft

I ask a lot of questions because the more I ask the more new info you guys bring to light. I appreciate that.

Personally, I think that the lead and asbestos risks are overblown (and there is ample evidence in support of this) but nobody listens to me. There are powerful interests in the abatement lobbies that support requiring overpaid men in moon suits take care of the issues. Lead is far more dangerous than asbestos, yet the response to potential exposure is out of proportion.

That's not to say that you can just go blowing the stuff all over the neighborhood or flushing it down storm drains; you shouldn't do that. But I think reasonable precautions -- respiratory protection and dust control; a HEPA vacuum cleaner is the fanciest tool you need -- are adequate measures to contain the risk.

I also think that the health risk from fiberglass insulation is far greater than from asbestos, but since big companies with deep pockets promoted fiberglass as the "safe" alternative to "dangerous" asbestos, you're not going to see fiberglass abatement anytime soon.

OK, I'm done ranting.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

I completely agree

I'm with Fencepost and Houston too- these are things to be careful with but not overly concerned about. If they were as bad as they are made out to be these days, then a couple generations of people would have been dead long before they died and we wouldn't be here discussing this. Be sane, exercise care, keep the dust down, use proper personal protection when doing the work and all will be fine

The downside to this is that nowadays in most places by law asbestos abatement must be done only by a contractor licensed for it- and they don't come cheaply. Any home built before 1976 (I think, may be '74) has to be treated as if it has lead paint until all the painted surfaces are tested and come back clear of lead. Where I live they don't really enforce the 'age rule' when you're painting, but where my brother lives and paints you have to cross every "T" and dot every "I" or the nice government will fine the heck out of you and pull your business license if you miss one tiny thing regarding lead paint work His customers are appalled to hear his estimates now, which can be triple or more of what the cost was when he painted the same house for them ten years ago, and he's cut his profit margin to get the price he quotes today just to remain working. This nonsense is putting him and many others out of business after they have dedicated a lifetime to their career, and nobody is any safer for that. The customer will either avoid the repaint and the building will suffer, they will hire a fly-by-nighter to do the work illegally, or they will do it themselves in a similar manner. While the laws have good intent they are as stupid as the legislators and regulators who wrote them

Me? I'd go in and remove anything possibly asbestos on the QT before you involve the government in any way. Lie through your teeth if asked about it; say "That's how I found it when I bought the place" when you go for licenses and permits. As long as they can't prove otherwise you save money and have enhanced safety at no real risk to anyone anywhere. Follow my method at your own risk- it's not legal and I am NOT advising that anyone actually do it. End of disclaimer.

Phil