+ Reply to Thread

Default Asbestos under hardwood?

Hi,

I just recently bought an older home in Halifax, NS. We tore up our hardwood flooring and found some paper under the hardwood. Its a brownish colour (not sure if it used to be white and now has a brown tinge).

My question is how common would asbestos paper be used under hardwood flooring? I've searched the web and have not found any resources or comments regarding this.

Any insight would be appreciated!
    Last edited by ohw3i7; 04-08-2014 at 09:36 PM.

Default Re: Asbestos under hardwood?

It sounds like it's rosin paper. It was used to prevent squeaking between the hard wood and the sub flooring.
    John

I'm trying to upload a picture of it. I can't seem to figure out how to upload a picture on here properly. It's not pink like the rosin paper I've seen. It's got a kraft paper color, sort of like cardboard...
    Last edited by ohw3i7; 04-08-2014 at 09:46 PM.

Possibly a vapor barrier, I've not heard of asbestos being used under hardwood, it was mostly found in mastic and some drywall products.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Test it for your own peace of mind, by sending a sample to a lab. Most likely the result will be negative.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Possibly a vapor barrier, I've not heard of asbestos being used under hardwood, it was mostly found in mastic and some drywall products.
    Don't forget vinyl tile, pipe insulation, siding, flexible duct connectors among other products.
    Some older underlayment paper did contain asbestos. If it comes up intact I probably wouldn't be too concerned.
    As mentioned, get it tested.

The reason you can't find anything about this 'problem' 0nline is that it doesn't exist- what you've got is just rosin paper and it's nothing to be concerned about.

Phil

Did you get it tested? We used to own a place in Halifax that had something similar under the maple hardwood and it tested positive for asbestos. Asked the neighbors and they had that too, they removed it themselves by not using power tools wearing p100 masks space suits wetting etc etc, they said it was a pain in the ass but also that finding a dump that will accept the stuff is another pain in the ass too.

One more vote for rosin paper. I have used it myself for just such an application.