+ Reply to Thread

Default rehab from the ground up

I bought an home built in 1930. It is a complete mess. currently occupied by transients. I am going to gut the whole thing. After I pull all the old plaster off the walls everything will be exposed. I want to run new Heat/air in the whole house. it is a 2 story ( main floor and a basement with 3 bedrooms)

What can I expect in terms of cost and time?

Default Re: rehab from the ground up

there's no way in the world we can even give you a ballpark estimate without doing a walk-through of the property. there are sooooooo many variables that go into something like that. if you're looking for a price range, and i'm being honest....anywhere between $25,000 - $250,000.

my advice it to call a few contractors for estimates and see how close they end up.

remember the 3 main rules of hiring a contractor.

1. check references
    2. check references
    3. check references

Yeah, way too big a ball park to even guess.

If you're doing ALL the work yourself, maybe as low as $25K-$30K. If you're hiring the work done, it could easily reach 6 figures, depending on trim level and other difficulties encountered.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I dont get how it could SO EXPENSIVE. That is the cost of a new house..haha. ***. 6 figures for some ducts and an AC unit? I guess I just dont get it yet.

Materials aren't cheap, neither is the labor to install it. If you do a ground up rehab and hire the whole thing, you're definitely going to be dropping some money on the project.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

you didn't say just ducts and ac....you said you were going to gut the house. if you're planning on doing that, then everything will have to be brought up to code if it isn't.

is your house 1,200 sq ft or 3,500 sq ft?
    do you want a $6,000 heat and ac unit or a $12,000 one?
    are you saving all the trim for replacement?
    are you replacing all the doors?
    are you buying kitchen cabinets, appliances, granite countertops, etc?
    are you remodeling 1 bathroom or 4?
    are you replacing windows?
    are you insulating the entire house?
    are you redoing the roof and siding?

simple example.....we gut remodeled a condo in an expensive massachusetts town, approximately 1,250 sq ft, added a second bathroom, all new electrical, all new plumbing, new heat and ac, basically everything you could do.....job was about $117,000

do the same job in Wyoming or some other rural place and it might run about half as much.

Then hope you don't run into asbestos - there goes the budget! ka ching!

A 1930's house would not have knob and tube wiring, but very little of it would stand up to today's standards. Ditto for 80 year old iron pipes and plumbing.

For sure, if something is structurally wrong, it will be exposed when all the plaster is down and will have to be addressed, especially if the building inspector sees it, and he will want to see everything before the drywall goes up.

Just finishing a kitchen could blow the $25K figure for materials, assuming you are going to use other than "builder's grade" cabinets, counters, appliances, etc.

Thank you everyone !! I appreciate you commenting. I see where the disconnect is. You were all giving me big picture pricing for the gut/rehab. I was thinking you meant just for the HVAC/Air/Heat component.

You had me in a complete panic!!

I had not considered asbestos.....

Quote Originally Posted by RDX View Post
    Thank you everyone !! I appreciate you commenting. I see where the disconnect is. You were all giving me big picture pricing for the gut/rehab. I was thinking you meant just for the HVAC/Air/Heat component.
    Well, it could still be this high just for the AC, if you want a ski resort in your living room.

Did you buy this property for your residence, for investment as income property or for flipping?