+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Rewire Entire House

I bought an home built in 1930. It is a complete mess. currently occupied by transients. I am going to gut the whole thing. After I pull all the old plaster off the walls everything will be exposed. I want to run new electrical in the whole house. it is a 2 story ( main floor and a basement with 3 bedrooms)

What can I expect in terms of cost and time?

Default Re: Rewire Entire House

see my answer to your other post.....same answer applies

A million bucks and a hundred years.

Seriously, there are far too many variables and you haven't provided enough information. How big is the house? How many stories? What is the going rate for electricians in your area? Are you planning to use electric heat or some other fuel source? Are you going to do the work yourself? Too many unknowns to get even an educated guess in an 0nline forum.

For a 2000 square foot home with gas heat doing the absolute minimum you could spend $3000 just on materials. You could spend double that. You could spend half that. Calling some electricians for estimates will be your best bet, even if you plan to do the work yourself.

Now if you have any questions on the best way to do something, we can probably help you there.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

thank you very much for the replies.

Hi, If you are going to rewire then I would use #10 wire to keep your electric bill lower, forget about the #14 and #12 wire. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MtMan54 View Post
    Hi, If you are going to rewire then I would use #10 wire to keep your electric bill lower, forget about the #14 and #12 wire. Thanks
    WHAT??????? The additional cost of the cabling will out cost years and years of savings.
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    WHAT??????? The additional cost of the cabling will out cost years and years of savings.
    Not to mention the difficulty in working with #10 wires.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    Not to mention the difficulty in working with #10 wires.
    Hi, I will make it easier for you if this is to difficult. Use #10 wires for the first 3/4 of each run and then use #12 wires for the last 1/4 of each run. Will this make you happy? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MtMan54 View Post
    Hi, I will make it easier for you if this is to difficult. Use #10 wires for the first 3/4 of each run and then use #12 wires for the last 1/4 of each run. Will this make you happy? Thanks
    Is this how you re-wire homes?

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    Is this how you re-wire homes?
    Hi, If this was not important, then I would not say anything. Thanks