+ Reply to Thread

Default Installing crown moulding over bathroom tiles

We've been working on a pretty large home remodeling project. I've installed crown moulding on the ceilings in the bedrooms and wanted to carry the same thing over to the master bathroom. This bathroom has floor to ceiling tiles. Glue just won't do to stick the moulding. Any ideas anyone? How do I get them to stick? I can't nail them without cracking some of the tiles.
    Last edited by lafrazia; 04-07-2014 at 01:11 PM.

Default Re: Installing crown molding over bathroom tiles

You'll have to find the ceiling joists and nail into that. Your other option would be to lay a sleeper into the corner of the wall/ceiling joint, attached with construction adhesive and/or nailed to the ceiling joists, then attach your crown to the sleeper with nails as a normal install.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Houston Texas

Or make custom triangular blocks and nail/glue them to the ceiling / tiles. After the glue cures, nail the crown to the blocks. We use this trick when installing crown in concrete homes.

Install more blocks than you think you'll need, especially in the corners and where the sections of trim end/ begin mid wall.

If you have easy access from an attic, pull the insulation back and add deadwood all round from above, then fasten the crown into it. This is a lot sturdier than an inside nailer as described already, but those will work fine if you can't get above the ceiling. On one custom home we built, the owner specified 100% deadwood everywhere to keep his future options open. It didn't make the plumbers or electricians happy but the idea did have some merit as you can see with this situation. Making best use or the framing scrap covered about 30-40% of the materials needed and it sure beat hauling it off.