+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Call 811

Hybrid View

Default Call 811

Good morning/afternoon/evening everyone!

This is my first post and I'm glad to be a new member of the site.

I live in Virginia and watch TOH every chance I get.

A valuable partnership, that I can see mutually beneficial to the show, is with 811.

The CGA (Common Ground Alliance) promotes the National 811 message "Know what's below. Call before you dig!"

It's especially helpful to us DIY'ers who do our own landscaping.

Homeowners cause about 30% of all underground utility damages. Obviously this has a big safety and financial impact on all involved.

Make sure to call 811 before you do any digging! Let's promote this message and see if we can't get the message to be a staple on TOH!

Default Re: Call 811

Very good reminder!

It's also the law in most cities.

If you break a utility line, you may b responsible for fixing it...and you know the drill with utility companies: one is working and 5 are watching him while analyzing sport results or last night's date - you pay for 6 workers...union rates.

DJ thanks for responding.

While my first concern is always safety, your point is valid.

I'd like to believe that most utilities try and do the right thing but the financial impact is a concern.

You could easily run into a crew that is trying to kill some time, at your expense.

The easiest solution is knowing your rights and following the law, as you pointed out.

PHMSA (pipeline and hazardous material safety administration) is beginning to mandate that all states have a utility damage prevention program. Calling 811 is the key piece of this movement.

A bonus of calling to have utilities located is that if you damage a utility that wasn't located properly (and was within the area to be located), you probably won't be liable for repairs. At the very least, you have grounds to appeal charges.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencepost View Post
    A bonus of calling to have utilities located is that if you damage a utility that wasn't located properly (and was within the area to be located), you probably won't be liable for repairs. At the very least, you have grounds to appeal charges.
    If you call in a ticket, stay within the scope of that ticket, follow the law (no mechanized equipment within x amount of feet, stay x amount of distance from the marks, hand expose conflicting utilities) and damage something....the utility will bill the locator every time.

Dig safe and know your rights.

Well what do ya know! Fast forward to 9:22

http://gma.yahoo.com/video/gma-live-...135110433.html