+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Painting exterior stucco.

I need some guidance on painting the exterior stucco of my house. It's about 100 years old and in Memphis TN. I power washed to remove loose pain first then filled multiple hair line cracks with caulk. The stucco is in great shape, did not have to repair anything other than the hair line cracks. The stucco is not heavily textured, more or less a sandy finish. I would like to use some sort of base coat like they did on the East Boston House. From what I understand, they used a clear acrylic base coat then coated it with an acrylic elastomeric paint. I would like to add a little perlite and sand to give it a nice even textured finish. Would Behr paint be good to use or should I go to Sherwin Williams or Benjamin Moore? I've seen that Benjamin Moore has a paint called Aura, costing around $65 per gallon. Limeworks.us has Quartz Guard for around $90 a gallon. I plan to use rollers/paint brushes instead of spraying mainly due to the sand and perlite addition. Are these prices a little high? I would like to do a quality job since I don't plan on ever doing this again (I'm 52 years old now). Is there anything better on the market now that would be more durable or better to use?

Is there anything else I need to know before I start painting? Any comments or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Painting exterior stucco.

Stay away from any Elastomeric Coating.
    The Quartz Guard is a Minerial coating which is very good . Also you may want to check on this product.
    Keim Minerial coatings it is also a good product.

Thanks! I will do that.

I've been using elastomeric paints on stucco cracks since the eighties - with excellent results.

Around me, 99% of homes have stucco exterior, we have frequent temperature swings of 30 degrees or more, we have high winds, we have hot days over 100 F, and this type of paint is very good in conditions like these.

Thank you. I'm wondering why Clarence suggested I stay away from Elastomeric paint? Is it a good idea to use the perlite and sand mixed in? Should I only use one coat with the sand and perlite? Is rolling a bad idea with Elastomeric paint?

Stucco is a cement base product, it needs cement to stick onto the wall. So mixing just perlite, sand and paint won't do it for you.

Coat the stucco first with the finish of your choice, then paint.

How to paint - roller or spray? A roller takes longer, but you have more control applying the paint, and usually you end up putting more paint. Professional painters use a sprayer. Why? for them time is money. They finish the job faster and on to the next job.

If this is the first time you paint a house, go with a roller. Use a nap cover made for rough exterior or stucco.

What paint to use? If money is no object, go with the name brands, fancy name paints. Otherwise, use an inexpensive brand that has been around. This is what I know: spending more money on paint, doesn't necessarily give you a better or longer lasting paint job. Most exterior paint jobs are good for 7-10 years (depending on the weather).

Enjoy painting.

Wonderful advice! I am thinking of using Behr. I've used it on some wood trim around the house in the past and it has preformed very well.
    So should I use the perlite/sand mix in the last coat or not at all in your opinion?

Quote Originally Posted by Paula View Post
    Wonderful advice! I am thinking of using Behr. I've used it on some wood trim around the house in the past and it has preformed very well.
    So should I use the perlite/sand mix in the last coat or not at all in your opinion?
    No Behr, I know there are those here who swear by it, every experience I've had with a Behr product is to swear AT it! I don't like it at all, for any purpose or application. My paint of choice is Kelly Moore. When it comes down to it, I'd recommend just about any dealer brand paint, dealer as in paint store, not whatever is offered at Walmart or Home Depot.

You say you only want to do this once, well, paint is really only good for 5 to 10 years, regardless of label claims. If you want something that will hold it's color longer and hide those cracks, think about getting a skimcoat of stucco over your existing surface. With the skim coat, you will get the texture you desire, in a coating that should last as long or longer than paint.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Well, Spruce is half right ! He's wrong about Behr, but to each his own.

My German wife and I go back to Germany frequently and I am always amazed at how good centuries old homes look with a new coat of "putz", as stucco is called. They chisel out the cracks and put another color top coat of the cement based stucco and they look like new. In recent years, the apartment building in which my wife grew up had started looking a little worn. This last trip, it had new plastic windows and a new coat of stucco and it looked absolutely great and will probably remain so for another 5o years.

Quote Originally Posted by ordjen View Post
    Well, Spruce is half right ! He's wrong about Behr, but to each his own.
    Don't make me come to Portland and find you, mister! I'll do it! I'll find you and make you hash this out over a beer at the local pub!

In all honesty, I'd love to be able to recommend Behr, I really would. I even know the current owner of the brand, great guy! Unfortunately . . .
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!