+ Reply to Thread

Default tile over ksplasha formica bac

can you put ceramic tile over a formica wall between lower and upper cabinets and what is the process
    Last edited by dna37dis; 04-04-2014 at 01:57 PM.

Default Re: tile over ksplasha formica bac

it can be done but it is not recommended. most important thing to determine is if the formica is properly adhered to the wall. if it's the least bit flexible or spongy then i would recommend removing it prior to tiling. if it appears to be nice and tight on the wall, you can purchase a bonding agent at any tile store. you simply paint or roll it on the formica and after it dries, you can tile away.

There is no tiling product that will allow for a decent bond.

Removing the formica is normally a very easy process

houston.....yes there is. saw it for the first time about 2 weeks ago and i asked about it. i forget the name but when i go back there i'll post the info on it.

MLB - could it be SimpleMat? I have not used it but HomeDepot has a tutorial using SimpleMat to tile on a mirror. They also said DAP Aquarium Adhesive could also be used on a mirror. Might work on formica? The SimpleMat also will adhere the grout but I don't know about the DAP.

that's not the stuff i'm thinking about. i wish i took a picture of it or wrote down the name. i'll find out and let you all know.

Regardless this product that MLB remembers, I'm with Houston on removing the formica and starting anew.

It's always better to lay/mount tiles on what it supposed to go on in the first place.

We used Bondera over Formica & it was great to work with. I did the prep work by cleaning with TSP then sanding with 100 grit. From the counter up 12" is tile and painted from 12" to the cabinet. I do not like tile work so a friend did that. It looks great & was an experience for a pro tile person. The only difference was that only put up as much tile as you can grout in a day. It took 2-1/2 days to do the job.