+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Is it possible to re-laminate a counter?

I would like to change the laminate on my kitchen counters. Saw the video on site but it looks like you have to start with bare wood and work your way from there. I'm assuming that you cannot layer laminate on top of existing laminate. So if you already have a laminated counter top and want new laminate do you a) strip off existing laminate and put on new stuff or b) have to start with new sub counter?

Default Re: Is it possible to re-laminate a counter?

It will depend on whether you've got a preformed or post formed countertop. A preformed top has an integrated backsplash and a bead along the leading edge to prevent runoff. A post formed top the backsplash is a separate piece and there is no bead at the leading edge.

A preformed top needs to just be replaced, a post formed top can be overlaid with new laminate, which is a job that a moderately capable DIY'r can accomplish themselves.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

As Spruce said, you can relaminate a post-formed countertop (square corners). To do this, you will have to rough up the existing laminate with coarse sandpaper (80 grit or coarser) -- easiest with a belt sander. It will create a lot of nasty dust that you won't want to breathe. This is necessary in order to get a good bond with the contact cement.

Once it's roughed up, the rest of the project is done just as if it was a new installation.

To expand on Spruce's comment, if you have a preformed countertop you won't be able to bend the laminate around the curve on the edge and backsplash -- that's why you must replace it.

If the existing laminate is peeling up AT ALL, you'll either want to remove it or cut out the bad part and glue in a piece of laminate as filler before putting the new topsheet on. Or remove the entire countertop, substrate and all and start over afresh. Removing and replacing the substrate won't be easy, because it's probably screwed down from the top before the laminate was applied.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

While just terminology, post formed counters have the rounded edges and usually integrated back splash. The laminates used are thinner than the edged counter laminates so they can be bent around the radius.
    I agree with the process stated if you want to re-laminate an existing counter.

Quote Originally Posted by bardonsmith09 View Post
    You have to remember why you are changing laminate in the first place. They look bad, right? If they are square edged you can do it, but it will take some special router bits, files, etc. For the time and effort spent in doing what you contemplate I would custom build my own. I am probably going to do a laminate top because they do look great. It is simple, very inexpensive, durable, and I think it looks good.
    I think the same way, and I don't even know the poster's abilities as a DIY.

Materials, time, dust, angry wife - is it worth it?

Replace it.

Quote Originally Posted by ed21 View Post
    While just terminology, post formed counters have the rounded edges and usually integrated back splash.
    Nope, it's the other way around. Pre-formed is done "pre" consumer, by the manufacturer. Post formed it's done after the manufacturer, usually by a custom shop, though anyone can buy a piece of laminate and make something out of it, that is post forming.

As someone pointed out, pre-formed material is thinner and more pliable than post formed material, hence why you can't just reskin a pre-formed top.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

That's not what they are called where I am. See the link or google post form.
    http://www.jwcountertops.com/ct_l.php
    http://retrorenovation.com/2013/05/2...laminate-1952/
    Last edited by ed21; 04-04-2014 at 05:03 PM.

I hate to be so bold as to say it, but their terminology is wrong. It is splitting hairs anyway.

Like I said its terminology.

You can remove the old laminate with an iron. The heat will melt the glue and it will peel right off.