+ Reply to Thread

Default recessed cutting board in counter

I have a hole in my counter where a sink was to go....plans have changed and after watching This Old House I saw that they installed a recessed cutting board where the sink had been. It was then part of the countertop. I have checked at my home improvement stores and they do not have an answer. Any one know where I can get a kit or how do I make it myself?

Default Re: recessed cutting board in counter

Before you start you are going to need a large sheet of paper or better yet cardboard. Tape the cardboard over the counter. From underneath use a sharp pencil and follow the contour of the inside of the opening. The best wood for what you are looking for is Butcher Block. Buy an appropriate sized piece (If you can't find one you may have to glue or biscuit pieces together.) Put the paper over the board(s) and trace the contours. Cut it to size. Now comes the hard part. This is probably going to be too heavy for the space. You will need to brace it and that will depend on how the woods underneath are set up for you. Remember, before you use it to put on several coats of mineral oil. You also use mineral oil to clean it.

If anyone wants to add to this feel free. I admit to being an amateur at best.

cpcksi,
    Make sure that any oil you use on the wood is marked specifically food safe oil.

You can fit a Butcher Block into the counter top in this fashion pictured here.
    An encased solid surface with a bottom, sides and back so no water or food falling into the cabinets below.
    The California Butcher Block is raised up for air flow on the bottom of the butcher block to keep it dry and food does not get trapped.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Solid Surface and Butcher Block.jpg 
Views:	290 
Size:	9.0 KB 
ID:	2667  

Smile Re: recessed cutting board in counter