+ Reply to Thread

Default Help Identify Composite Decking

Hi TOH Community,
    I recently moved into a home that has composite decking. The home was built in 2000 and I am assuming the decking was install soon after. I know that there were few companies that manufactured composite decking, Trex being the main one. I have searched all over an under the deck for any manufacturer markings and cannot find a single one. Below is a link to where I have placed images (I had a difficult time inserting them in the post). Please take a look and reply if you have any experience or knowledge to identify the material.
    Thanks so much.
    Regards,
    Skylarks

http://www.pbase.com/slark/decking

Default Re: Help Identify Composite Decking

If you want to replace the broken pieces, you will need to improvise and find closely matching parts from existing manufacturers.

Do a search on line and go to lumber shop, not just Home Depot and Lowe's.

At one point there were many composite manufacturers, but lousy products, litigation and class action suits force most of them out of business and into bankruptcies. True "flight by night" corporations, turning out crap, cash in big time and disappear with pockets full of money.

Default Re: Help Identify Composite Decking

DJ is right, there were a number of manufacturers in the late 90's and early 00's, most of them are gone because of low quality product that didn't perform as advertised. The best you can do is repair the damage with current day materials, be that composite or wood replacements.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!