+ Reply to Thread

Default Load Bearing or not?

Hello Everyone,

I see a few posts on this subject but failed to find one that is similar to mine. We are looking to take out a wall, this wall currently divides the Dining Room and Living Room. There is a wall directly above the wall we want to remove that is located on the second level of the 1 1/2 story room. I attached a picture of what I am talking about.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: Load Bearing or not?

I should note that in the basement, there is a beam that runs through the center, thus the load bearing wall noted on the drawing. Where the wall is that I want to remove, on the basement side, there is not any type of beam located there, only floor joists.

i would say that it's not load bearing but i'm not positive based on your picture. if the floor joists are going in the same direction as the wall and the rafters in the attic are also going in the same direction, which they should be, then you should be ok taking the wall out. also, another determining factor is if there is no beam or lally columns running in the same direction in the basement, which you say there aren't. you should be ok taking the wall out but it might be a good idea to have a contractor or engineer take a look at it for a second opinion.
    Last edited by MLB Construction; 04-02-2014 at 08:15 PM.

Better ask some general contractors, who would come and look at it, BEFORE you pull out your wrecking bar.

Turned out it was load bearing! I did all the demo work to open it up as we were going to be spending the money on it for the remodel anyway. After our contractor came out to take a look and viewed the entire structure from attic to basement it was determined it was in fact load bearing. The contractor put in a nice lvl, sheetrocked, and now I am on the second coat of mud. We will enjoy the space of a 16x30 family room!

Great, you did the smart thing by inviting a GC into the picture.