+ Reply to Thread

Default Buried cable to garage

I have an unused 20amp circuit in my box now that I replaced my electric dryer with gas. I'd like to use it to run a new line out to my garage (about 30-40ft from the box), put in a small subpanel, and then completely rewire the garage as it's a mess right now and underpowered (currently uses a 15amp circuit). I've read elsewhere on the forums about using direct bury cable, but how deep will that have to be buried as I live in Western NY, which has cold winters? Also, any advice on how to get it out of the house and into the garage in a way that is protected from the elements? Use conduit perhaps? Thanks for any advice.

Default Re: Buried cable to garage

12" deep, electric wire doesn't freeze so you don't have to worry about frost depth. You can drill a hole in your foundation level with the trench or use conduit to run out and down into the trench.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Just be aware that if you feed a "small sub-panel" you have created a "feeder", instead of a branch circuit, which requires ground rods at the garage, since it's a separate building. At least that's NEC. New York may have other requirements as well.
    Just because you can, it doesn't mean you should!

Correct answer is 24 inches direct burial, 18 inches in non metallic(PVC) conduit and 6 inches in rigid or intermediate metal conduit. If you have one branch circuit rated at 120 volts or less with GFCI protection and 20 A overcurrent protection you can direct bury it 12 inches. This will vary somewhat if you are going under a driveway. Look up NEC table 300.5.