+ Reply to Thread

Default Searching for moulding profile from 1930s house

I am looking for this moulding, not available from any sources I have around here. Any suggestions for a source? I need only a few feet, so custom milling is probably out of consideration.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/7900376@N02/13545071605/

Default Re: Searching for moulding profile from 1930s house

You've got a few options. First is to obtain some molding charts to see of a close match is readily available- which I doubt it will be. Second is to trace the end profile and send off to every molding manufacturer you can find in hopes they have a set of knives for this profile already. Third- and maybe the bes if you only need a few feet- is to make it yourself, being creative with a table saw, a router, and some block sanding to finish the profile. It's a lot of effort but fastest and certain to give you a match. Plan on making and discarding 2/3 of what you want as it's super-easy to remove too much wood which renders that piece scrap. Go slow with all cuts and apply lots of care and patience- this is a relatively simple profile you should be able to replicate yourself.

Phil

Clark's hardwoods here in Houston makes small batches at what I believe are reasonable rates.

What you are looking for is called picture rail, which was used to hang art work without damaging plaster walls.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    Clark's hardwoods here in Houston makes small batches at what I believe are reasonable rates.

What you are looking for is called picture rail, which was used to hang art work without damaging plaster walls.
    You may have one or more local shops that does custom millwork to match. It won't be cheap though.

Picture rail can be readily purchased from several retailers on.line, but it is a different profile from what you show. Is your wood broken by any chance?

See this for comparison http://www.houseofantiquehardware.co...l-molding-ogee
    It's this old house, not this built after your dad was born house.