+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Washing machine causing bathtub & toilet issues

Quote Originally Posted by rosy View Post
    A plumber said he could run a cable and clear main sewer line blockage & camera sewer for $245. Is that reasonable?
    If I rent a 50 ft. snake from homedepot could I insert the snake at the cleanout towards the house and then turn it on when i feel a clog? The rental costs $36 for 4 hrs. Thanks.
    When the snake turns the wrong corner, comes out the toilet and destroys your bathroom, your insurance might not pay for the damage. The plumber's will.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Hi helpers, the plumber snaked my lines & found no clogs. He recommended I get my septic tank pumped. Did that. The septic pumper said the drainfield is bad. Folks out there, how does one know that the outlet pipe of the septic system tank isn't clogged ? thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by rosy View Post
    Hi helpers, the plumber snaked my lines & found no clogs. He recommended I get my septic tank pumped. Did that. The septic pumper said the drainfield is bad. Folks out there, how does one know that the outlet pipe of the septic system tank isn't clogged ? thanks.
    Those almost never clog unless they break and/or a tree root grows into them. When you had the tank pumped, did the problem go away temporarily, then return? That would be a sure sign that the tank isn't draining because the emptied tank held the initial discharge but filled later on when the drain-field couldn't handle the outflow. If the problem never went away at all it's not the septic tank but happening before it.

Phil

Default Re:Washing machine causing water to back up in shower & bathtub

Thanks for your help. After the septic tank was pumped the problem went away. The technician said it will be fine for a while, but then the problem will return. Until then, is there some liquid that can be poured down the sinks or toilets to unclog the drainfield or another solution other than replacing the drainfield ? thanks.

There's no "magic" in a can or box that can fix this or even delay a future problem. I have heard of companies that 'aerate' drainfields which they claim restores them but it's not possible in all soil types, and my common sense tells me that at best it too is only a temporary fix because you can't control where the air goes to make it uniform. The only sound solution it to replace the drainfield, with the only other possibility being extending it so that the new section is capable enough on it's own to handle the flow. This may not be possible or permissible by code but I have seen it work where it would have been a nightmare to dig up the old system.

Sorry for the bad news but that's the way the world and septic systems work.

Phil

Default Re: Washing machine causing backups due to "bad drain field"

thanks very much for your comments...i'm shopping around for the best company and best price on replacing the septic system drain field--if anyone has experience with this, please let me know about your experience. thanks!

Though it's rated for the purpose, the new covered corrugated and perforated plastic soil piping that everyone is switching to does not impress me. Supposedly it works fine without gravel but I have ny doubts that time will prove it good in clayey soils like we have here. I'd specify solid perforated PVC soil pipe with a fabric wrap in a gravel bed. This is the conventional way and has a long track history of functioning well and lasting. It is certainly a job you don't want to be doing again until you absolutely have to. Also be sure they properly compact the soil they cover it with; you don't want linear depressions in your lawn where the pipes go. Many will just shovel; the dirt back in and it will sink in a few months or sooner. Go with a company that has a long and good local reputation even if it costs a bit more- it will be worth it in the long run.

Pjil

thanks, here in central florida, contractors giving me quotes or proposals on replacing the septic system drain field mentioned PTI multipipe or the infiltrator system. Comments on these, such as advantages or disadvantages, would be helpful. I haven't found much info on the web. Thanks!