+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Washing machine causing bathtub & toilet issues

After the washing machine drained, the toilets gurgled & water came up the bathtub drains. One of the toilets had less flushing force for sometime afterwards, but then recovered its regular flushing pressure. The other toilet leaked water onto the bathroom floor through the bottom of the toilet. What is causing this? Thanks!

Default Re: Washing machine causing bathtub & toilet issues

Yes, the house (including the washer drain) is connected to a septic system.
    Yes, the washer has a vent.
    A few days before this occurred, the shower drain was a bit slow to drain, but resolved itself quickly. Thanks.

Pumped out the septic tank in the last couple of years?

The most likely cause is that there are roots or some obstruction in the main line to the septic tank. Have the lines augered. Your toilet should not be leaking around its base, this means that the wax ring has failed, perfect time to replace it AND snake the line while the toilet is off.

I would have all the drains in the house snaked out to the main line and the main line should be snaked all the way to the tank. If this doesn't cure your slow drain issues, then it is possible that you have a tank or drain field issue, though less likely, it is possible.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Spruce is correct, but I would add a cam inspection to see what's going on in there.

Thanks very much for your responses. The septic tank was last pumped in January 2012 (2 yrs, 2 mo.)-central Fl. The previous owner suggested opening a white pipe in front of the house to see if there's water there. If there is, he says that means the tank needs pumping. Another neighbor said a similar situation occurred to her & she had to replace the septic tank drainfield because of obstructions from roots. One website stated that perhaps the washing machine vent that goes out the roof may be clogged or if the washer, bathtub & shower, and toilets share the same drain to the septic tank, then there may be a clog in the drain.

I'm thinking to start with the basic unclogging procedures in the shower drain. That is 1 cup baking soda, salt and vinegar--wait 20 mins, then pot of boiling water. Could use the auger too. Then check the washer vent. If that's not it, then open the white pipe to see if there is water there. Is this a good plan?

If you do what you are planning to do, tell us if it worked.

But I wouldn't play with formulas, I'm not a chemist. And don't use draino or similar products.

Don't waste your time, get a cam inspection today and go from there.

It is possible for a blocked to cause a slow drain if there's an air lock (a bubble inside the pipe), but that generally only happens on smaller diameter pipes like those that drain a sink. The larger lines that drain a toilet are ordinarily too big to develop an airlock.

Based on the symptoms, you more likely have a blocked drain than a blocked vent.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

A plumber said he could run a cable and clear main sewer line blockage & camera sewer for $245. Is that reasonable?
    If I rent a 50 ft. snake from homedepot could I insert the snake at the cleanout towards the house and then turn it on when i feel a clog? The rental costs $36 for 4 hrs. Thanks.

That's reasonable for a cam inspection and snaking the line. You need to see what's in the pipe. If you hire the plumber (BTW, get another estimate), you'll SEE what's inside the pipe.

HD rental is good for a handyman who knows what to do, but it doesn't include a cam.