+ Reply to Thread

Question Forced hot air system

I have a forced hot air heating and cooling system in my house and continue to get dark shadows in my living-room and bathroom. The dark shadows grow darker over time and can be cleaned with any common cleaning solution. I am trying to find out why the dark shadows continue to return as I am tired of reprinting the interior of the house every 2 years. I have changed the entire heating and cooling system and included a hepa filter to captured any dust or dirt in an attempt to put an end to the dark shadows to no avail. Anyone have a similar problem with their forced air system that would like to share with me how they corrected this condition? Please help, I am tired of painting.

Default Re: Forced hot air system

Look into duct cleaning.

Thanks for the response, I have hired the most reputable duct cleaning company who did a great job and within a year the shadows were back. The owner of the duct company came to my house and using his equipment ran a camera thru the ducts which showed they were clean...he though it may have been from all the candles my wife burns...think I should have had stock in Yankee candle. She stopped burning the candles but the problem persists.

When you changed your entire cooling/ heating system, did you replace the ducts?

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    When you changed your entire cooling/ heating system, did you replace the ducts?
    No I did not but I had them professionally cleaned while the system was being installed.

I'd start with checking the boots where the vent covers are attached. Perhaps they are falling apart.

1. "Professionally cleaned" could mean many things. That leads me to believe that your vents could cause the black spots. Have they cleaned behind the registers?

2. There is also the possibility that you have a loose connections in selected vents, where attic dust could penetrate the air delivery system. I've seen it before. You need to pay a visit to your attic to check vent connections.

Wall areas get dirtier where the walls are colder. Even though you might not see surface condensation, slight moisture on the surface catches the dirt. Older homes often show such areas where the insulation was not overly well installed and cold spots exist. Obviously, it is always a good idea to keep the circulating air clean, but unless the cold area is addressed, it will continue to get dirtier there.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    Thanks for all the advice, I like to response about the condensation caused by cold spots as the area that seems to show the greatest build up is in the corner of the room below the attic. Will try adding insulation to see if that helps!

Just a guess, has mold ever been a problem in your house.