+ Reply to Thread

Default Slanting wall and/or ceiling

Hi everyone,

I am about to move into a beautiful grouphouse rental in Washington, DC, in a 3-story rowhouse that is about 100 years old. The landlord and owner had previously lived in the house.

There is a nice entanceway separating the living and dining spaces on the first floor, square-framed with some molding. When I first saw the house, I noticed that the molding on the top of the entranceway was farther away from the ceiling on one side than it was on the other side. This makes me think that either the wall or the ceiling is slanted.

Either way, does this indicate a safety or major structural issue? I have not signed the lease to this rental yet, but my would-be roommates have nothing but positive things to say about the house and the landlord. I wonder if this slanting is cause for me to back away from the lease, or if is merely something I can bring up with the landlord, or if it is completely normal and no cause for alarm at all!

Thank you!

Default Re: Slanting wall and/or ceiling

Without the inspection and opinion from a knowledgeable contractor or engineer, I wouldn't hazard an opinion without more details. Load some pics (close-in and of the general space) on a photo-share site and post the link to them here- then we may be able to give you better advice.

I will go so far as to say than many old buildings have some structural deficiencies but most do most pose a safety risk, and most of these will last another hundred years without doing anything to mitigate the problem.

Phil

Default Re: Slanting wall and/or ceiling

"or if is merely something I can bring up with the landlord, or if it is completely normal and no cause for alarm at all!"

- You can bring it up when you talk to the landlord, to see if he/she is aware of this and if he/she tried to do something about it, or will do something in the future. You can even put it in the lease.

- Is it normal? probably not, but this is an old house you're talking about, not a new one. Everything could be expected in an old house. Cause for alarm? hard to say without seeing it, but from your future roommates, life's good in this place.

What's the worst that can happen?