+ Reply to Thread
    Betsy Guest

Question Asbestos Removal

We've heard that people remove asbestos by soaking it in water. If we just leave it alone in the basement (it's not turning to dust) will we be okay? I see that some people have put duct tape over it --- is that safe?

Default Re: Asbestos Removal

You really need to have an asbestos abatement company come and check it out. They may recommend you do nothing, but they should be able to test the air to see if you need to do anything with it.

DO NOT try to remove asbestos by yourself. It may be expensive to have a company remove it, but they'll use all the proper safety procedures to make sure you don't end up having to move out of your house to clean it all up. Asbestos is really dangerous stuff, this is something that you really need to leave to the professionals (note - I am not employed by any type of asbestos removal company ;-)
    Tom Stangl
    Hidden Content
    Prius Visual FAQ Home
    Hidden Content
    DSM Visual FAQ home

Caveat: IANAC (I Am Not A Contractor) - I am simply a DIYer that tends to do a lot of research. Contact licensed Contractors/Architects/whatever for the final legal word on any advice.

Don't try to remove it yourself. Asbestos is fine until the particles become airborne...and then it's dangerous. We have asbestos shingle siding, and some asbestos pipe insulation in the basement. We were told the siding is fine and to not attempt to screw or nail things into it in the cold as that increases the chances it will crack or break. And for the basement, we were told to wrap it in duct tape so it does not get accidentally punctured. Do this while wearing masks, of course!

Quote Originally Posted by suchatreat View Post
    Don't try to remove it yourself. Asbestos is fine until the particles become airborne...and then it's dangerous. We have asbestos shingle siding, and some asbestos pipe insulation in the basement. We were told the siding is fine and to not attempt to screw or nail things into it in the cold as that increases the chances it will crack or break. And for the basement, we were told to wrap it in duct tape so it does not get accidentally punctured. Do this while wearing masks, of course!
    I would think twice about wrapping those pipes, or disturbing them in any way, shape or form.
    But if you do anything, please wear a N-100 disposable respirator or equivalent, and tyveck disposable coveralls.

Exclamation Re: Asbestos Removal

I have to agree with everyone else here: don't try this one yourself. I know of someone who did remove asbestos in a similar way-tearing it off while a friend hosed everything (including him) down constantly with a stream of water so that the dangerous particles wouldn't go flying. But, the guy went to someone who owned an asbestos firm first, found out everything he needed to do, and got all of the Haz-Mat materials/gear he needed to keep safe [which are the first steps to this process if you really want to do it]. And I'm still not even sure what he did was all hunky-dorey with local laws. All in all, I think it was bigger trouble undertaking the whole process by himself than it would take to just call in the pros. He really wanted to do it, but if you're ok with letting go of that task, you can find pros at: http://www.thebluebook.com/cl/all203.htm. Good luck!

You are definitely not safe and when it comes to asbestos keeping it in the basement is not an option, you should get a professional team to remove it and hopefully you are not affected yet. You should better pay for that team than for mesothelioma treatment.

I have a friend from an Australian-owned company specializing in safe asbestos removal in Melbourne. You can call them on 0419 321 399 they can assist you.

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________

Domestic asbestos removal Melbourne